Pathy running issues

Cuong Nguyen

I got around and got the main parts of my Pathfinder put together. I got her to fire up and run on her own for a bit until i started hearing a clunking and knocking sound from the engine bay area. That's when I turned her off and called it quits. She was running poorly as well and I was wondering what it could be. She hasn't been started since November back when I got into my wreck. There was a lot of smoke and fumes from the unburned fuel and the engine burning off the spilled oil. I did remove the distributor when I removed the upper intake plenum. I did put her back to TDC and aligned the rotor on the dizzy to where #1 firing position.

This is TDC, correct?

DSCF1569.jpg

DSCF1571.jpg

John pointed it out in another thread that the crank rotates two times for one full turn of the dizzy. I popped the dizzy out and rotated the crank one full turn and set the dizzy back to number one. She turned over but didn't start. I'm going to reset it the way it was and try it again. Also, It's possible for some odd reason that the timing belt could have slipped a tooth or two so I'm going to investigate that later today.

sounds to me like you're out of time... play with it... you could also be off a tooth on the dist. TDC-get a screwdriver in through spark plug hole (cyl#1) and turn the engine manually... when the screw driver is at the highest you're in TDC

so if i was off a tooth on the dizzy, that would cause the knocking sound?

Is it really necessary to do the screwdriver method to find tdc since everything else lines up???

this is driving me crazy man :furious:

Edited by Cuong Nguyen

Could it be that a sensor isn't connected (or correctly or not working right) or a vacuum hose is off somewhere ?? I know you had it torn down pretty far... When I got my truck back from the FUBARED autobody shop, one vacuum like for the cruise control was off... Who knows why. GL

B

I'm sorry... where it says "one vacuum like for" should have read "one vacuum line for". I just fat fingered it, and was not trying to say criuse control was the problem. I was trying to say that when you have an accident and do major work, things can be disconnected/malfunctioning when you have no reason to believe they would. It is, of course, difficult to diagnose a problem not being there. My point was don't be to focused on a timing issue when it could be something else. But then I'm not there, cant see, and don't hear it. Good luck...

Bernard

so if i was off a tooth on the dizzy, that would cause the knocking sound?

Is it really necessary to do the screwdriver method to find tdc since everything else lines up???

this is driving me crazy man :furious:

you don't have to do the screwdriver method... just a suggestion.. that's how i always do it to make sure... as long as the dist rotor pointing squarely! onto the blade in the cap as everything else aligns then your on it... but if not then you're of by a tooth or two on the dist.... which will make it run like crap...because you're out of time and will not be able to get on time until you get the teeth of the dist. right... i've had to mess with this before and it's pretty easy to miss it by a tooth or two when reinserting the dist...

fuel could be the culprit but, i'v never had any problems... so could fuel filter and of course everything else.. injectors, pump...blah, blah, blah.... :) you actually have to cranck it untill it starts? hmmm.. oh my... :lol:

Edited by mzxtreme

Could be the plug for the infra-red squirrel finders or maybe the turbo diesel mud flaps? I'm not sure. :blink:

But seriously, if you suspect your fuel might have "varnished" some stuff from sitting idle for a while, try a can of BG 44K if you have it where you are. It's the best pour-in fuel system cleaner I've ever used. a bit pricey @ $22 or so, but worth it.

It's connected to the main wire harness. It's about a foot or so back from the fusible links that connect to the positive lead on the battery. I'll get a better picture up in a bit.

DSCF1592.jpg

Edited by Cuong Nguyen