throttle sensor?

ok, i have had my Pathfinder for bout 6 months now, and ever since i have had it, the throttle has been messed. it feels like at many spots where i press the gas, the engine stops to zero, but as soon as you move the pedal, further or back off, it's fine till you hit another dead spot. i am wonderin weather or not anyone has experienced any problem like this. my mechanic figures that i need a new throttle position sensor. i haven't read anywhere that this is a commons problem, it just feels like that is what it is. i have cleaned my throttle body very good several times. the reason i am posting this is because i read a post about o2 sensors, and i dont think it's that, when i got it, it had just been replaced. friends of mine have told me that it could be the hose that links to my transmission, which would cause this sputtering at certain speeds, but i dont think it has anything to do wiht this, because it doesnt' matter what speeds i am going, jsut where i am pressing the gas. anyway, later this month i will have money and finally be able to replace it and fix many other things.. any tips at what else might be the problem would be great help..

JD

I had/have a problem somewhat like this...at certain points when you push it down engine drops to idle...replaced fuel filter, throttle position sensor, mass airflow, fuel pump, etc. etc...still does it occasinally. So, all I can say, good luck. Then there is some water temp sensor, a heater that does something with the air coming into the engine, and something else you may want to check out too. These weren't the problem on mine either. Personally, I think it's ghosts.

lol, could be, anyway, i've noticed that it seemed worse against a really rough wind, it would do it more often, so i took the top part off the air filter and fliped it upside downso it would breath in through under the hood, not the fender facing sort or ahead, and it seemed to make it much better, not sure what to do, dont really wanna run a warm intake... lol

• 10 years later...

Check your intake tubing as well... Make sure there are no leaks... I had a similar issue where my engine would lose all power at certain points of throttle... Cleaned the throttle body, maf, and then changed a few sensors... It was better but still not yet right... So I swapped out my intake hoses because the original ones were starting to crack... Now it runs like a new pathfinder with having 235k on it... Mine is a 94 se auto...

Check your intake tubing as well... Make sure there are no leaks... I had a similar issue where my engine would lose all power at certain points of throttle... Cleaned the throttle body, maf, and then changed a few sensors... It was better but still not yet right... So I swapped out my intake hoses because the original ones were starting to crack... Now it runs like a new pathfinder with having 235k on it... Mine is a 94 se auto...