Help! Problems with front end and engine!

VHerring

Ok, help me out here! Had a very bad vibration in the front end of my 94 XE so I checked everything out to find loose tie rod ends, sway bar links and worn sway bar bushings. So, I replaced the whole tie rod assembly since I couldn't find the right outers, and replaced the sway bar links and bushings. Still have the vibration, and the steering wheel seems to jump left and right randomly at about 35mph. What could cause this? Bad alignment? Ball joints?

Also, I replaced the pcv valve, and now when in park and pushing the accelerator, once it gets to 3000 rpm It will drop to 2000 and bounce back and forth. Along with this, it hesitates at take-off and when going from 1st to 2nd gears... would this be Throttle position sensor? Or something else? I checked the ECU, no new trouble codes... any ideas anyone?

Ok, thanks. To update this, my husband took it to a shop to have them inspect it prior to alignment earlier today, and they said that the ball joints "aren't horrible", but that the wobble is most likely the strut rod bushings being totally gone! Now the bad news...we have a cracked frame behind the front driver's tire, and din't even know it! There's a hole there too... :suicide: and he said that there isn't even enough there to weld to in order to be able to fix it, though I think he's going to get a second opinion on that.....Anyone want to buy it for parts? LOL!

Edited by VHerring

Engine hesitates, like push the gas and it takes a second for the engine to respond, or the transmission hesitates when shifting, so the engine is at good rpm, but the shift is slow or delayed?

Engine hesitates, like push the gas and it takes a second for the engine to respond, or the transmission hesitates when shifting, so the engine is at good rpm, but the shift is slow or delayed?

Kinda both...it takes a second for the engine to respond when you first put it in drive or after coming to a stop and push the gas, and when you first shift into drive, it takes the tranny a few seconds to shift into gear. While driving, when it switches from first to second gear, the rpm's drop down by about 1000 2-3 times unless you really step on it.

I wouldn't worry too much about an alignment shop or general shop that isn't confident in their repair quality... Find a reputable body shop, they either have access to or know an automotive welder nearby; that's the person you want to see about a frame repair.

As far as your hesitation goes: There is obviously something not good going on, but I would look at the trans oil level and take a smell of the trans fluid... it may have a blocked cooler ( warmer?) in the bottom of the radiator or low fluid level. If it smells burnt or like toast then it may be a good time for a flush.... but for $500 how much money do you want to put in it? I bought mine 4 years ago for $350 and spent $5000 in parts and tires only... my truck runs great and is as reliable as my Estwing hammer.