Problem new engine

jammer

I just got a used engine put it (don't ask why) and the check engine light comes on and stays on. Even after it sits over night it stays on. Toyota put it in since there is no Nissan within 2 hrs of me and I know some of the guys there. Mine was a 95 and the new engine is a 92 or 93. They said the engine sensor harness was different and they have checked to make sure all the sensors are on properly. They are at a loss and have tried to tell me that I should just ignore it. I actually laughed when he said that.

Thanks

If you are still using the 95 computer, that is most liekly the problem. While the engines are interchangable the computer programs are not. All of the sensor maybe there and working fine, but feedback voltages changed from year to year. Ok there are some years that will interchange but not across the board from 90 to 95.

I find myself again in agreement with 88 ( I really need to meet this guy, agreeing too many times lately) Run the codes first. You may get lucky and find the sensor giving you the problem. The other way is to find the exact year of the replacement engine and get the right puter for it.

Now this is all said IF the used motor is a North American take out. If this is Japanese version imported then you do have a problem. The only fiz I know for this is to take all of the old sensors out of your blown 95 motor and put them into the replacement motor.

BTW how did you blow the motor, I lost oil pressure in mine. welded the #2 pitson rod solid to the crank.

I said don't ask. Actually the timing belt went. The really sad thing is I was on my way to drop off my truck at Nissan in Winnipeg (2.5 hrs away) since I was going in for business for a couple of days. And the two main things they were going to do was the water pump and the timing belt. So I was really mad. I'll pass on the info to they guys at Toyota and see what they can do. I dropped off my Hayes Manual yesterday to try and help them as well. No all I can do is pray to the 4x4 gods.

A blown timing belt takes the heads out. You replace the heads and go on about your business. I have never seen a piston valve contact where the piston needed replacing. On the surface it sounds like more work was done than required. :blink:

Oh thanks! Something else to keep me awake at night. That's one of the problems with owning a vehicle without a local garage that's knowledgable with it. No one else here will touch it except Can Tire and I swore I'd never go there again. On the up side putting in a different motor fixed a lot of problems. I like many others had broken bolts and now it's quiet when I start it up. I was also having power issues around the 80 KMH mark and that's cleared up. And I always had a weird sound from the engine comp. that never changed. It sounded like a belt problem or something in that area as it was constant. The sound was there sice day 1 in '96 and never changed and two Nissan places wern't able to diagnose it. And since it wasn't causing harm the answer was to always leave it alone.

One other question for you...what RPM should I be at around the 100 kmh mark on a level road? I'm around 2800.