A/T, battery, and brake light STILL on

ToddHam244

Just replaced my alternator after the usual lights came on to show it was going out. I had it replaced with a brand new one and double checked everything before putting it back together. After 3 days the lights are still on and I'm out of ideas on what to trouble shoot. Below is the list of everything I have done/tried to solve this problem. If anybody has any other ideas on what could be causing this let me know.

Replaced alternator

Checked brake fluid

Reset computer

Cleaned battery terminals

Tested new battery and alternator

New serpentine belt

Checked every fuse both in passenger compartment and under the hood

Pulled for codes and got nothing

I am assuming that the new alternator tested good, and that you reattached the alternator cable and the voltage regulator connector properly.

When you say "after 3 days", does that mean you've been driving it like that for 3 days? In those 3 days, how many miles have you driven, how much have you used electrical accessories (headlights, heater, radio, etc.), and how many engine starts have happened in those three days? Use a voltmeter to check the alternator output. With the engine running, check the voltage on the battery terminals. It should be at least 13.8. If not, then the alternator is not charging the battery. You may have a faulty cable or a bad connection between the alternator and the fuse block. Check for continuity (and resistance) between the alternator terminal and the fuse block where the alternator cable attaches. (On my Pathfinder, the alternator attaches to a threaded terminal (12mm nut) on the inboard side of the relay box behind the battery.) You may also want to check for continuity (and resistance) between that terminal and the battery positive terminal. Did you confirm that the alternator fusible link in the relay box is good?

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds similar to a problem that I had with my 1995 terrano. After it had sat in hot sun for a week the alternator and battery lights stayed on for a while but after driving for 5 minutes I heard a clicking sound, most likely from a relay switch under the dash near the fuses and the lights went off. Since then I have taken these relay switches apart and cleaned the switching contacts and haven't had a problem since.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk