Noob wants to know...

Guest Larimer

Guest Larimer

Obviously most guys here have had to do the Lower Control Arm Bushings. Thanks to kmgar99 I have a nice DIY with photos to follow.

My question is... What about the other bushings, such as upper arm, panhard, stabilizer bar. Should I replace those while I am down there. This is my third time replacing the lower bushings, and the others have never been touched.

96 Pathfinder XE 4WD

You've replaced them three times? Rubber or poly? I'm surprised to hear that you've had that much trouble with them. I was hoping that once I put my new bushings in they'd outlast the truck at this point. I've ordered poly bushings for my upper and lowers but I'm leaving everything else alone.

Yeah, the lowers are the only ones you need to replace to fix the swaying. The uppers need to be replaced if you hear/feel a clunk under acceleration/stops. I'm assuming you went through 3 sets of the Nissan rubber bushings, right? Polys should last a while ;)

Guest Larimer

Yeah, 3 times with the Nissan rubber. Usually I need 3 whacks with the shovel before it kicks in... I have only ever had the lowers done, and I have no clunk, so the uppers are probably ok.

You wanna hear a dumb story. Nissan dealer here will only sell complete arms to a DIY'r ($235 apiece). They wont sell bushings alone. But if you take it in for them to do they do the bushings only ($60 a side) and rape you on labor. Rip-off. Oh well, I am going poly now anyway screw-em.

what is the mileage interval for the bushing replacement? I did mine (all 4 links, Nissan rubber) at 65k, and it has been fine ever since (now I'm around 103k)

I haven't heard of anyone having to replace them that often.

m.

I did the lowers with the (ashamed to say) AC poly ones (Blue) They work great! I purchased all eight, but I only did the lowers for now....maybe this summer i'll do the uppers...

WHOA :angry:

So if you feel a shifthing kind of thunk when stopping or starting from a stop it is most likely the uppers???

That would really burn my hiney!! Before i even got the pathy back to my state from the auction i bought it from i knew i needed bushings, i paid to have all rear 10 replaced (panhard also)...but now my rear end feels like a last minute tranny shift when i stop and a delayed reation to start...does it sound like i took a shafting??

someone may have an after Easter visit from their worst nightmare!!! :contract:

When I bought mine the woman who owned it last told me that the arms needed replacing and the quote from the dealer was over a grand. I got underneath and the arms are fine, but the bushings are rotten. No biggie, I thought, I'll replace them. Well, I had the same issue as Larimer. The dealer in my area won't sell the bushings alone and all the parts (before labor) came out to over 500 bucks. Moral of the story: even if you think you are just buying a truck from some dumb chick, there may be some merit to what she has told you about necessary repairs. In the end, I'd just as soon pay a little extra and go for the poly ones anyway... Now if AC can just get me my darn parts... It's been a month now and counting...