The hunt for a manual steering box begins, help?

RCWD21

I'm looking at using a manual steering box to replace my idler arm on my pathfinder but around here a manual box is about as sparse as a car driving on water. Would the steering box out of a Datsun 720 or other model also work? There are 2 complete ones in a JY I go to and I can get it for cheap. I've looked at EVERY hardbody I've ever seen and NEVER seen one with a manual steering box installed. Was it mostly a base model thing?

Any extra input on what and where to look would be fantastic, I'm tired of bending idler arms after only a few weeks. I need something stronger for when I get my pathfinder on the road.

I've read on the thread for the manual box swap that a 720 from 83 to 85 will work and I just need the pitman arm from a pre 92 PS box to have the correct length. It obviously shows a different part number since the arms are different but does anyone have any pics that they could post so I can see the physical difference between the manual box on a 720 and a manual box on a d21 or wd21? Google isn't of much help and neither is rockauto :/

Sent from inside my potato

Have you tried the calmini idler arm? Its design is supposed to be braced already. I've heard good things of it. What would the benefits of the manual steering box be? Sorry just never heard of somebody doing that.

The manual steering box is loads stronger than any normal idler arm and I dont have to run a brace or worry about bushings wearing out since in the steering box there is 3 needle bearings that have about 10x the load holding capacity. Plus, you never hear of someone bending or breaking a steering box or pitman arm unless it's from landing directly on a rock or something with the full vehicle weight behind it. Also depending on your area going with the manual steering box is cheaper than buying a calmini or other braced setup and it'll never wear out in the time that I'm going to have my pathfinder.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone aware of what models I can pull a manual steering box from? The JY I frequent usually gets in new vehicles every week or two so I'd like a definite year range and model to look out for.