Steering wheel tilt adjust

Cuong Nguyen

• 4 weeks later...

Cuong I think the flap of plastic sticking forward is supposed to be just on the other side of the bottom dash cover, also try loosening your steering column bolts and pull back on the steering wheel a bit and retighten the bolts. I think in your case it's a little too far forward for some reason causing the tight spot. Is yours round or square dash? I can't remember.

Hopefully it's something simple, don't forget to check your dimmer switch. I had one that tested good with a meter but was too gunked up inside to work with voltage. I have spares of a lot of small parts now just incase.

Hopefully it's something simple, don't forget to check your dimmer switch. I had one that tested good with a meter but was too gunked up inside to work with voltage. I have spares of a lot of small parts now just incase.

Yeah I hope so too. I thought it was the dimmer switch too. I also realize that I have no headlight chime either when I open the door with the key out of the ignition.

I've had mine unplugged for so long I thought something was wrong when I plugged it back in and forgot that I had done so lol

Could be a fuse if you haven't checked those, also another spot I've come across that took me forever to find is the printed circuit for the back of the cluster where it bends into where the plugs for the harness clip in. They could be cracked or dirty.

I also realize that I have no headlight chime either when I open the door with the key out of the ignition.

That's a problem? I yanked both of the nag boxes when I had the interior out. The dinger's kind of a cool little thing (how often do you see a mechanical chime anymore?) but the novelty wore off real quick when it was going full cowbell next to my head as I messed with the headlight wiring. I think I've got both modules on the shelf still.

I had a similar failure on my dimmer. A good clean brought it mostly back, though the lights do flicker a little if I mess with it.

I think RCWD21's right about the tab being on the wrong side. I'd get a picture of mine but my clamshell's still in pieces on the bench.

Here's a couple pics of the steering column in my dad's D21.

I think your steering column is too far forward and it's causing the binding issues between the bottom of the clam shell and the middle dash cover piece. Can you remove the 4 screws and see if it still binds?

a5b6b761de6cd2252829c09083632a47.jpg94aa9b1784a98c8b72d85c37a0edad00.jpg

Sent from inside my potato