OE Trailer Tow circuit?

hawairish

My fuse block by the battery has a 20A "Trailer Tow" circuit that lacks a fuse. I found the harness for it back by the amp in the LH rear cargo area. I put a fuse on the circuit, and it stays hot (er, active) even with ignition off. I may actually have a use for this circuit...

But, what's the normal trailer towing condition to have a circuit that's constantly on? Since it's a factory harness, I presume this is for a factory trailer towing package, but I can't make sense of the circuit seeing as it doesn't have a relay on it. Did the OE package have is own set of relays?

Well, the trailer lights are supposed to behave like your vehicle's lights.

I know that when your car is turned off, the brake lights still work. But then you probably weren't on your brake pedal when you saw voltage there.

Perhaps it's for electric trailer brakes? Those would need to keep working even when off, or you could die if your car died while towing a trailer.

I'm guessing this is a harness with many circuits? (driving lights, backup lights, turn signals, brake lights...)

Which one(s) are hot with the ignition off?

Well, I took another look at the FSM and found better information. One lead is fused directly from the battery, as suspected, but the other lead is tied to the RH turn signals. Since there's no LH connectivity, I presume it's just for operating the hazards on the trailer. The constant supply is probably for supplemental power to the brake lamps or turn signals on the trailer, and it's probably in conjunction with another trailer harness.

If you're bored/curious, check EL-85 and E-86 (harness on this page), http://www.nicoclub.com/manuals/Pathfinder/2004_Pathfinder/el.pdf. I don't see the harness in a 2002 model, and didn't check any others.

But anyway, I can always find a use for that power source. It's placement is actually perfect for a tiny Mopar/Kicker sub amp I have and it'll fit right behind the Bose amp.