QX4 WITH LOCKING HUBS

1badqx4

Hello everyone.so I am reading up on the manual hub conversion. could this be done on my 99.9 qx4? safely? I have the knob buttong 4wd not the shifter. I am wondering if I could get mbetter mpg and longer cv life. thank you.

My QX4 has the same 4wd selector as you, and Warn hubs are going to be one of my next upgrades. It will be OK...if you use it right. When the hubs are locked, it will be exactly like stock-take no extra precautions. However, when the hubs are unlocked, do not put it in 4wd, only 2wd. This includes not using the Auto function, as that could engage 4wd, which would of course be bad.

This is easy enough to remember, but if anybody else drives your truck you will have to take care to remind them of this so that they do not accidentally damage it. A way to avoid this being an issue would be to always engage the hubs before somebody else drives it, so that you know there is no way they could accidentally do something wrong.

Happy wrenching!

• Like 1

You can use 4wd unlocked... I use it to get trailers moving with 4 low it's fine... Just don't use the auto function because if it senses slip it will apply power at the t-case at whatever speed your rear is going to the front end (which is stationary)

You'll only do it once, I promise.

Don't expect big mileage gains. But it does make steering more nimble, coasting easier and saves CVs which is worth it by itself.

Edited by LittleFR
  • Like 1