Rear Tire Wear

rchuish

My drivers side rear tire is wearing oddly. The outside inch or so has almost no wear at all, and the rest of the tire working inward is severely worn. I have looked at the inside of the hub and there doesn't seem to be anything missing in the way of axle bolts. There isn't any kind of a wobble in it, but when I stop and then start to go from a stop there is a click back there on that side. I can't tell if the tire is leaning at all, but it appears to be straight. I have two thoughts in this since thee isn't a wobble or vibration in the rear end. First there is an alignment issue some where, but since this is a solid axle the only place an alignment issue should be present is in the front end. Second I have a bent axle shaft or bad bearings. But since there isn't any kind of vibration or wobble back there, I'm not sure if this is the case. Any pointers you guys might have on figuring this out would be helpful, I will have some time in the next few weeks to work on the car. So I'll be keeping an eye on any responses.

Thanks for the help.

My drivers side rear tire is wearing oddly. The outside inch or so has almost no wear at all, and the rest of the tire working inward is severely worn. I have looked at the inside of the hub and there doesn't seem to be anything missing in the way of axle bolts. There isn't any kind of a wobble in it, but when I stop and then start to go from a stop there is a click back there on that side. I can't tell if the tire is leaning at all, but it appears to be straight. I have two thoughts in this since thee isn't a wobble or vibration in the rear end. First there is an alignment issue some where, but since this is a solid axle the only place an alignment issue should be present is in the front end. Second I have a bent axle shaft or bad bearings. But since there isn't any kind of vibration or wobble back there, I'm not sure if this is the case. Any pointers you guys might have on figuring this out would be helpful, I will have some time in the next few weeks to work on the car. So I'll be keeping an eye on any responses.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

5pp8p6p2q

Edited by PatDes

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

YAY TIRES MY LINE OF KNOW HOW. IT COULD BE THAT THE REAR MAY HAVE TO MUCH OF WHAT IS CALLED "DOG TRACKING" OR THRUST ANGLE TO EXCESSIVE.SOMETIME A WORN BUSHING WILL BE THE CAUSE. ALSO WHAT LEADS ME TO BELIEVE THAT IS THAT 99.9% OF SUV'S/ TRUCKS THAT HAVE A SOLID REAR.WILL ALWAYS HAVE A DOG TRACKING ON THE LR CORNER OF THE TRUCK.IT SITS INWARD COMPARED TO THE RR. AXLE SHIFTING IS PISSIBLE UNDERLOAD WITH WORN SUSPENSION COMPONENTS.

The clicking makes me think bushings are letting the whole axle shift fore and aft.

I would rotate that tire to the left rear and left to right (watching wear on both) to make for sure you eliminate the tire itself out of the equation then delve further into the suspension.

The car was in an accident before I bought it, but that was on the passenger side. The suspension is a work in progress, I have already changed the springs and rear bushings, but still need to change the bump stops. I have no idea how many miles are on the tires, but they need to be changed anyway. I was going to finish the work I need to get done on the suspension and steering in the next week or two and take it down for a full alignment. I had my wife put it in drive and reverse not to long ago, and there is still some rotation in the axle after swapping out the bushings on the rear control arms on the rear axle. I'm wondering if it is just the axle and differential, that tire as always had some chirping and noise when I have gone around turns. Let me know if the extra info gives you guys anymore ideas.

Thanks again for the help.

If you don't know how many miles are on the tires or when they were last rotated, how do you know the wear is due to a problem with the rear suspension? Maybe the tire wear occurred while that tire was mounted elsewhere on the vehicle and only now that all of the tires are getting more worn do you notice the issue.

All the bushings in the suspension were bad, as well as the shocks and struts. When I bought the car that tire was worn evenly, but I have started noticing the wear like that more recently. I know that the tires that are the back were bought first and spent some time on the front of the car. I found some receipts for the tires in the glove box with different dates, but mileage is not listed. When I bought the car the previous owner stated that she had changed some of the bushings in the suspension, I can find what has been changed and hasn't most have not. They are the original bushings from when it was brand new, that is why the suspension is a work in progress.

Have the alignment shop not only do a front end aligntment,but have them do a thrust angle alignment check. Most shops can check it if the alignment rack and dsp system is up to date, A thrust check will let you know if any part of the vehicle is not square of aligned due to an accident or damage ont the unibody/frames. Most body shops do not do a thrust alignment check due to time it takes. hope this helps.