Largest spare tire, under, with Hitch?

00cojo

Hey guys,

I have an 02 Qx4 and I want to size up to 265/65/R17 from 245/65/R17 when I pick up a new set of all terrains soon. I also want to add a hitch, I've read that some hitches may prevent this size of tire (curved tubular) from fitting in the spare holder? Is there anyone who has been successful or knows which hitch works?

Diameter

30.6" vs

29.5"

Width

10.4" vs

9.6"

The largest tire I was able to fit in the stock spare location with a tubular hitch was 31x10.5R15. 32x11.5R15 didn't fit.

So my 30.6x10.4 R17 should fit then, being slightly smaller? Is your tubular hitch round or square?

I used to have a U-haul hitch, shown here. The issue isn't so much the shape or configuration of the tube steel of the hitch, it's the receiver. The distance between the receiver and the panhard rod is essentially what limits the tire size you can fit back there. In fact, the bumper cover itself is also a limiting factor. If I recall correctly, the hitch receiver was almost even with the bottom edge of the bumper cover.

• Like 1

I used to have a U-haul hitch, shown here. The issue isn't so much the shape or configuration of the tube steel of the hitch, it's the receiver. The distance between the receiver and the panhard rod is essentially what limits the tire size you can fit back there. In fact, the bumper cover itself is also a limiting factor. If I recall correctly, the hitch receiver was almost even with the bottom edge of the bumper cover.

Is that the 31 that's under it in that picture?

Really appreciate the info!

I have a 31" under there now and it is a really really tight fit. In fact I don't think it went all the way in. I have a DrawTite receiver and the 2" receiver is a little long on the inside and made it really tight. The spare tire I have is Bridgestone Deuller AT with almost full thread.

However, I think if I have a 31" with less than 1/2 thread, I probably able to fit it in or if you can find a receiver with a shorter 2" receiver on the inside.

You see the 2'" receiver hitting the tire in these pics

p523926484-4.jpg

p184185835-4.jpg

I have a 31" under there now and it is a really really tight fit. In fact I don't think it went all the way in. I have a DrawTite receiver and the 2" receiver is a little long on the inside and made it really tight. The spare tire I have is Bridgestone Deuller AT with almost full thread.

However, I think if I have a 31" with less than 1/2 thread, I probably able to fit it in or if you can find a receiver with a shorter 2" receiver on the inside.

You see the 2'" receiver hitting the tire in these pics

p523926484-4.jpg

p184185835-4.jpg

If a 31 fits super snug, I'm safe with my 30"

I'm putting on BFGoodrich All Terrain K02's 30 265/65/R17 31's would be 275/65/R17

I'm probably going to look into this particular hitch.

http://b.cdnbrm.com/images/products/schem/curt/med/curt_13088.jpg

Thanks for the pictures! It's a big help!

Edited by 00cojo