steering shaft

oilman

so i am almost done with a 3 inch body lift on my 90 pathy, and will post pics when i am finished.

but i have run into a problem.

the steering shaft isn't long enough to rreach from the firewall to the steering box. I have it slid down all the way on the end splines, but it seems to be collapsable in the middle, I need it to be aboult an inch longer, will it elongate?

any suggestions on where I can find a new one cause I think mine is damaged, maybe a HB one would fit?

thanks

You should be able to undo the bolt in the middle and tap out shaft.

What end did you move? At the top?

Btw, this is what everyone does rather than use the extension that comes with the kit if one did come with the kit.

I'm not sure if its the same, but you should be able to not mess with the top or bottom ends, and just bang on the middle of the shaft, where the joint is, to get it to telescope out a bit. All I needed was about 1/4".

well I got it to telescope, but it wasn't easy.

after letting it sit in PB for about a day I was able to hammer it out, but i had to take it out of thew truck and put it in a vise

well I got it to telescope, but it wasn't easy.

after letting it sit in PB for about a day I was able to hammer it out, but i had to take it out of thew truck and put it in a vise

That's the ticket, 88 pointed me in that direction cause mine was just plain stuck and couldn't be moved while on the truck. 1 end has a slight taper, so I put that in the vice and clamped on an old pair of vice grips as hard as I could get them on. Then, I just gave it a couple whacks with a rubber mallet and that's all she wrote. Easy as pie really, but that shaft can be a pain if you go after it the wrong way. I know this. :rolleyes: