Rear suspension noise

okanagan

Just finished replacing all eight trailing arm bushings. There is a funny clicking/rattle noise at very low speeds on uneven surfaces. The rear sway bar end links look to be in good condition. Anyone have any ideas?

It's probably a safe assumption that this is new and immediately after your bushing changes.

Therefore, it's a result of the bushing changes.

And of course, anything else you touched in the process should be suspect (such as the sway bar which you mentioned).

Here are the ideas that come to mind:

1. You didn't snug down one of the bolts enough
  2. One or more of the bushings has the wrong diameter inner sleeve and there is too much play around the bolt
  3. Bolts didn't all go back in their original locations such that a smaller diameter bolt got used somewhere
  4. Inspect any brackets/shields that you removed for access and make sure none are still unbolted
  5. Shock bolts? (if they were unbolted)

I had a weird clicking in my rear suspension.... It was my shocks. Is it possible the new bushings tightened everything up and is making something unrelated rattle?

I crawled under my truck with safety glasses and had my nephew jump up and down on the receiver until a found the offender.

Thank you for all the great suggestions!

Found a few loose bolts underneath the back end. One sway bar end link had a bit of play so I removed it. Checked the spare tire. Tightened the loose bolts and did a road test every time I tightened/removed something. Still lots of clicking/rattling. Frustrated, we decided to just walk around the vehicle and push each corner side-to-side and up and down to see if we could reproduce the noise. To our surprise, we found the clicking/rattling noise at the front driver's side. I'm betting it's the sway bar end link. Ran out of time to check how tight the nuts are. I replaced both front end links in the spring, but perhaps they've loosened up a bit.