Idling Issue on my `96

DRAGON64

This started last week. My `96 will idle at only 400 to 450 RPM's in neutral. It is hard for it to stay running when cold. If I hold the clutch in and put the trans in gear, the idle will jump to 1200+ RPM's and hold... take out of gear, and idle goes back to barely running @ 400+ RPM's Does this sound familiar to anyone? Other than this issue, my Pathfinder runs top notch.

• 4 months later...

So my `96 is in the Nissan dealership today. The idle issue is now coupled with a throttle position issue, where-by the fuel gets shut off at the "cruise" position. An intermittent issue at best, but when it rears its ugly head, is when I need the gas the most. Since I bought a full drive train warranty I attached a laundry-list of items I need worked on, so hopefully I get my ride back in much better working order... and hopefully the warranty covers most of it :/

No call yet, so I am hoping that no news is good news.

• Like 1

Was it consistently running at 400-450 RPM, or was it jumping back and forth?
Mine has a very similar problem, but the only code that runs says it's my knock sensor that needs replacing. At the same time my issue sounds exactly like yours, and I'm wondering if I should just replace the throttle position sensor when I order the knock sensor to save on shipping.

My Pathfinder won't idle above 400 - 450 while in neutral, but with the clutch depressed and the trans in any gear, she runs high at 1400. Anyway, the dealership called, and they want $4G's to fix everything on my list, so I told them to button it up and stick it outside I will just come and get it... SUX!

It could possibly be your TPS sensor or even IAC valve sticking too. Another possibility is a vacuum leak somewhere. Check hoses, around the upper plenum and lower plenum. Sometimes the IAC valve goes bad and won't throw any codes and on the VG33E 3.3 the IAC is underneath the upper plenum. Maybe your throttle body needs to be cleaned. If it's your TPS sensor you can set it up yourself with a volt meter and a know how. I replaced my TPS 2 weeks ago. If you need help on doing so shoot me a message.

sent by MrCox in Lenoir City, TN