atp light help needed

i have a 2002 nissan pathfinder se 4x4 .

my dash has the atp light light on.

my 4h to 4lo is manual select { shifter }

and the light only comes on when the tranny is in park.

the light goes away when i shift the tranny out of park , and then comes back on whenever i put it in park

even-though the car does not roll away while in park.

i replaced the atp SWITCH ASSY-4WD part # 32005-0W01A.

and the light still did not go away.

do i have to reset something?

how can i find out whats wrong ?

is there any way to find specific codes other than a standard obd2 scanner

Not sure what the ATP switch is.

Your part number seems to be a backup switch...which would turn on the backup lights when the transmission is in reverse.

But there's no warning light for that on the dash, is there?

Ok, did my homework with Google.

My model year doesn't have an ATP light, so I didn't know.

If everything is working right, it's telling you that your transfer case is stuck in Neutral and your transmission is in Park. And it's warning you that in this situation, your vehicle could roll away unexpectedly.

It's not saying that it WILL roll, but it could pop out of gear and roll away.

Everything you've described is consistent with the proper functioning of this feature.

Make sure your transfer case is in one of the 3 gears and NOT in neutral.

Your Tcase has 2Hi, 4Hi, Neutral, 4Lo.

If your transfercase is absolutely, positively, definitely in one of the gears, and not neutral then the Transfer case's switch could be bad, or the wiring for it is shorted to another circuit somewhere.

I really don't think this would throw a trouble code.

• Like 2

Well done on the homework, JY. That's the right system description.

If you're certain the t-case in in gear, then you may want to check the "Transfer Neutral Position Switch" instead (simple continuity check), or perhaps any of the check springs/balls between it and the t-case for wear if the switch checks out ok.

If you had the Auto-mode t-case, there'd be a diagnostic code for it from the t-case controller, but otherwise no code.

• 2 weeks later...

i went to take out the Transfer Neutral Position Switch but i could not get it out,

its rusted , when i tried to put a wrench to it , it stripped. and its in a very tight spot.

im gonna have to pay a mechanic to take that out.

• 5 months later...

Are you having the same symptoms as above? It's normal for the light to come on when both t-case and transmission are in neutral...it's a warning that neither of those will prevent the truck from rolling. Is that the happening, or something else?

Did you transfer over any sensors or switches from the old transmission? Chance that the park/neutral switch on it is faulty?

I presume this wasn't happening before the transmission was replaced. Is the transfer case in neutral? Under normal conditions, the ATP light illuminates when both transfer case and transmission are in neutral.