1993 SE speaker issues

Hey fellow pathfinder owners. I have just recently purchased a 1993 SE. My problem is is that my four front speakers just stopped working. The deck is an older Alpine unit. The speakers were working fine just the other day and now there is no sound from the front. The rears work fine. I checked the fade on the stereo and it was right in the middle and when all the way to the front there was no sound. Just wondering if this might be a Pathfinder specific thing, considering that the Alpine wouldn't have an 8 speaker wiring harness.

Thanks

Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk

Edited by 93pathfinder

It's pretty known that the amps go out. The amp for the front speakers is located under the headunit. Most will just bypass them and run wires straight from the deck to the speakers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

There was some discussion last year about which amp powered which speakers but since they come in so many different configurations I don't even know which one powers which in my own Pathfinder, wiring is different for each speaker set-up as well which also adds to the confusion.

Most folks have, from what I can figure out, run wires from a new / different head unit and bypass the amps.

This might not help but....With my 2003 there are 2 front amps, one in each front door and one rear amp for both rears together. When my fronts quit it turned it was a relay that supplies power to the front amps when the key is turned on. The new relay was about $20. Very simple fix.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will definitely look into it. But as of now the front speakers are working just fine again. When they stop again I will start taking things apart.

Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk

Edited by 93pathfinder

I would just run new wires. The amps go bad if you have any. Wire degradation do to ashe and weather is also am issue. Just bypass and run new lines. It's not difficult to do a clean install plenty of room to tuck wire

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I've said it before...replace the audio amp. relay. Keep the original stereo, front speakers and wires. The resister in the relay burns out...It's a $20 fix. Last time I'll say this...I promise. If you want to replace everything else that's fine but unnecessary.

• Like 1

Count me on the vote for complete rewire. Get a good quality speaker wire and hook it up to the internal amp in the head unit.

Is this what you did when your front speakers quit working?