Failure in braking system... puzzling

k9sar

Found the problem. Bought a short premade brake line (8" w/ M10-1.0 thread). Cut the ends off roughly 1.5" in, crimped the cut ends and filled them with solder so there was no air. viola! now I have MC plugs. I removed the line and plugged the port that goes top the ABS unit. Stepped on the pedal and it was hard as a rock (no prob w/ front brakes or MC). I reattached the line and crawled under the truck. I clamped the flex line just where it started (having a suspicion) and the pedal was solid again (no prob w/ ABS unit). Placed the clamp at the other end of the flex line and ... mush mush mush. To the floor. Crawled back under and had my son press on the brake while I put my hands on the flex line. I could feel it 'puff'. I took a good look at the brake line that the parts place had sold me. Not seeing anything other than a bunch of numbers, I hit the interweb and discovered that the hose I was given was low pressure fuel hose. Found my receipt and sure enough, it said fuel hose. I told that SOB at the counter that I needed flexible brake hose. I grabbed the remaining piece of uninstalled hose and headed back to the store ready to do battle. I was disappointed that the manager there, the one who sold me the hose, apologized and told me that he did not think it would expand like it did. Since it was his mistake, he refunded me the entire amount I paid and took 20% off anything I bought to solve my brake issue. Since they did not have any real flexible brake line, I measured the distance from the ABS unit to the connector at the wheel (61") and bought 2x30" rigid steel lines and a coupler. I opted for the 2-piece solution so I wasn't fighting with a convoluted bend on each end and then trying to weave it into place. So, now I have the parts and am waiting until there isn't snow on the ground before I get back under the thing. When all was said and done at the parts store, I received the parts I needed and a $7 credit. Other than my wasted time, I guess I can't bitch too much.

Most people don't realize how much pressure is in a brake system. Upwards of 2000 psi under hard braking.

I don't recommend the copper ez bend lines either. I see them blow the fittings off fairly frequently. I also see a lot of people fix lines with compression fittings, which also are labeled on the package not for automotive brake system use.

I understand that flaring line is a pain, bending it is a hassle, but I wouldn't want to rely on a compression fitting rated for maybe 700psi to stop 4,000 pounds of vehicle in an emergency situation.

yea, they tried to sell me the copperish @!*% and I chose to go with steel. They they reco'd the compression fittings so I didn't have to run from fixture to fixture if I didn't want to flare the ends. Passed on that too.

• Like 1