very minor trans/transfer case leak.

vg33deguy

I have a 97 pathfinder le that has been very reliable for about a year. We have replace all rear control arms and struts new wheel bearings etc and now im getting down to the bigger stuff. The leaks have been tiny thus far but im wondering would some lucas stop leak do the trick? Ive not had to add any tranny fluid and just did a flush on the transfer case and it was near full. Hate to rip it apart if anyone has had success with this.

The only experience I have is with engine oil stop-leak. Didn't work.

But my son's truck has a blown head gasket and a head-gasket repair additive that he put in his anti-freeze sealed it up going on 3 years now.

You may as well try it.

Of course, you need to figure out if it's the transmission or the transfer case first! ;)

• Like 1

Its at the seem where you wouls split the transfer case clser to the passenger side of the case. And the transmission is between the engine and trans. Oil is tight. Im going to get a few pics here soon its a mess outside. Dont even know if i could really get a clean picture with all the snow coming down the past 2 days

I did stop leak for my valve covers...after replacing they still leaked and it worked for about 4-5 months...I know this isn't the same leak your talking about but just to give you a general idea

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Well eventually everything will be rebuilt. It sat for 2 years. im just moving back to denver and emissions will fail if they see a leak so keeping it from leaking till i get to rebuilding it is the ultimate goal. Sounds like it just depends on the location and severity of the leak. I just have 2 pressure hoses rotted from sitting that are a bit pricey so i want to do them first. This poor truck got left to rot at a junk yard and im slowing fixing it back up. Popped a new battery in, replaced 3 fuses and its ran like a champs since. Well after replacing all rear control arms,rack bushings and struts. Ive done more but just neglected maintenance. Just got a set of 01 xterra rims to replace the mismatched set on it now.

So here are a couple shots the suns a killer against that snow so its a bit bright. If i do go for replacing the gaskets how tough a job would you think this would be?

2d07ed0123048f411138ac945763f0cd.jpg

75071c9b331173fc029b379fca5a45bb.jpg

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Im sire theres a seal on the tranny one. Rtv sounds right for the transfer case. The transmission leak is near the oil pan where the engine meets the trans.

Honestly it's probably leaking just enough to where you can see it because it sat so long. Just about anything will do that. Before tearing into it for such a small leak, more like sweat, I'd clean the piss out of it and drive it and re-check.

The leak at the bell housing looks like a rear main leak.

• Like 1

Thats what we think. The rear main. Ive never had to add to either. I drained the transfer case and it was nasty black. Im going to do it again right after we do a tanny flush but im not possitive the best way to aproach that on this car. My last 2 where manual and one was done under warranty. May just pay a shop to do the flush then add a few ounces of lucas transmission treatment to it. Lucas curbed the oil usage and tiny oil leak but its got a tiny cold knock when its bellow 10 most mornings so alot of the stuff we are dealing with is sitting and based on the first oil change a little neglect. But i think you right just some flushing and fresh fluid i think will stop em with maybe a bit of treatment.