Want to buy a 99

jaydonjabate

someone correct me if I'm wrong but I highly doubt that this is a 99. It's the pre facelift, and I'm pretty sure in 99 (same as mine) they had the facelift.

That aside, it looks decent. What's the mileage?

Asking price is pretty much market value but depending on mileage it could be lower. As reference I paid $3300 CAD for mine with only 60.000 miles on it. But no leather, no sunroof, XE.

Ask about rust, about maintenance intervals, timing belt change etc.

Sent from my Pathfinder

someone correct me if I'm wrong but I highly doubt that this is a 99. It's the pre facelift, and I'm pretty sure in 99 (same as mine) they had the facelift.

That aside, it looks decent. What's the mileage?

Asking price is pretty much market value but depending on mileage it could be lower. As reference I paid $3300 CAD for mine with only 60.000 miles on it. But no leather, no sunroof, XE.

Ask about rust, about maintenance intervals, timing belt change etc.

Sent from my Pathfinder

It has 160k miles so i was gonna offer a little less. If it's not 99 what do you think it is?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

I did some reaearch and stand corrected. The reason why my 99 has a facelift is because it is a 99.5 yours is a 99. Last production before the facelift.

With that mileage I think you should be able to get it for 2500-2800. Less if you dig more for things "wrong" with it.

Sent from my Pathfinder

I did some reaearch and stand corrected. The reason why my 99 has a facelift is because it is a 99.5 yours is a 99. Last production before the facelift.

With that mileage I think you should be able to get it for 2500-2800. Less if you dig more for things "wrong" with it.

Sent from my Pathfinder

Awesome, thanks man!

Looks like a good deal if it's a California vehicle that hasn't spent a winter in the northeast states. Ask to have a mechanic check it out before you buy it. Of course, drive it to see if it makes any unknown rattles and verify that the alignment tracks straight.

Does it have a carfax? How many owners? What about maintenance records? Is engine compartment clean or dusty/sooty? Frequency of oil/filter changes? When was the last time it had trans/diff/t-case fluids replaced? Coolant flush? Brake fluid flush? Air filter? Spark plugs/wires? Cap/Rotor? Fuel filter?

You will want to check the tires for cupping, inspect the brakes, rear suspension link bushings, and other suspension components such as swaybar bushings, bumpstops, etc. The Pathfinder has an issue that people refer to as the "death wobble" during acceleration or deceleration at highway speeds, which is caused by disintegrating rear bushings in the lower trailing links (aka rear lower control arms).

Check for spare tire removal tool and jack (under rear seat). Also check for a tool bag (also under rear seat) that contains the lug nut wrench and some unfamiliar tools like this, which are for removing the spark plugs: 395663608.jpg

Finally, don't just trust the owner's statement that there aren't any leaks. Look under the engine and transmission, transfer case, and rear diff yourself.

• Like 1

Looks like a good deal if it's a California vehicle that hasn't spent a winter in the northeast states. Ask to have a mechanic check it out before you buy it. Of course, drive it to see if it makes any unknown rattles and verify that the alignment tracks straight.

Does it have a carfax? How many owners? What about maintenance records? Is engine compartment clean or dusty/sooty? Frequency of oil/filter changes? When was the last time it had trans/diff/t-case fluids replaced? Coolant flush? Brake fluid flush? Air filter? Spark plugs/wires? Cap/Rotor? Fuel filter?

You will want to check the tires for cupping, inspect the brakes, rear suspension link bushings, and other suspension components such as swaybar bushings, bumpstops, etc. The Pathfinder has an issue that people refer to as the "death wobble" during acceleration or deceleration at highway speeds, which is caused by disintegrating rear bushings in the lower trailing links (aka rear lower control arms).

Check for spare tire removal tool and jack (under rear seat). Also check for a tool bag (also under rear seat) that contains the lug nut wrench and some unfamiliar tools like this, which are for removing the spark plugs: 395663608.jpg

Finally, don't just trust the owner's statement that there aren't any leaks. Look under the engine and transmission, transfer case, and rear diff yourself.

Ok will do. Thanks!

One more thing, in case you have grand plans for modifying the Pathfinder with big tires, lift, etc etc etc:

Check the VIN ID plate in the engine bay (http://home.exetel.com.au/apcs/R50/VIN-Plate.jpg) near the windshield wiper motor. Look for the code "HG43" or "HG46". This indicates which gear ratio is installed in your diffs. HG43 means 4.363:1, and HG46 means 4.636:1. Be aware that HG43 gears will struggle to turn bigger tires more than HG46 if you decide to upsize later.

I have a 97 LE which had HG43 gears from the factory. When I got bigger tires, I swapped out both diffs for HG46.

One more thing, in case you have grand plans for modifying the Pathfinder with big tires, lift, etc etc etc:

Check the VIN ID plate in the engine bay (http://home.exetel.com.au/apcs/R50/VIN-Plate.jpg) near the windshield wiper motor. Look for the code "HG43" or "HG46". This indicates which gear ratio is installed in your diffs. HG43 means 4.363:1, and HG46 means 4.636:1. Be aware that HG43 gears will struggle to turn bigger tires more than HG46 if you decide to upsize later.

I have a 97 LE which had HG43 gears from the factory. When I got bigger tires, I swapped out both diffs for HG46.

Awesome thanks for letting me know!

OK, lastly:

It's an LE, which means it has extra goodies that the XE and SE didn't have, including dual heater leather seats, compass/ext temp readout, Homelink buttons on the visor.

Includes floor mats? Rear cargo cover?

Basically, go through it with a fine-tooth comb and make sure that everything works. Rear defrost, power mirrors, sunroof, wipers/washers (both front and rear), etc. You get the point. If everything works (and I mean EVERYTHING), and the vehicle is in KBB "excellent" condition, it may be worth the asking price. If anything doesn't work, you have more points of negotiation.

I did notice that the wheels appear to be el-cheapo steel wheels which were standard on the XE, not the LE, which should have been some kind of upgraded alloy wheel. Might wanna ask about that.

Edited by XPLORx4

OK, lastly:

It's an LE, which means it has extra goodies that the XE and SE didn't have, including dual heater leather seats, compass/ext temp readout, Homelink buttons on the visor.

Includes floor mats? Rear cargo cover?

Basically, go through it with a fine-tooth comb and make sure that everything works. Rear defrost, power mirrors, sunroof, wipers/washers (both front and rear), etc. You get the point. If everything works (and I mean EVERYTHING), and the vehicle is in KBB "excellent" condition, it may be worth the asking price. If anything doesn't work, you have more points of negotiation.

I did notice that the wheels appear to be el-cheapo steel wheels which were standard on the XE, not the LE, which should have been some kind of upgraded alloy wheel. Might wanna ask about that.

Ok cool I'll ask about that. Thanks