HP D30 work for sas?

Hey guys couldnt find if anyone has done it but i can get my hands on a hp d30 for next to free, before i grabbed it I was curious if i could do a swap with it or should i just wait to find a waggy 44?

Any help would be appreciated thanks

Itll be a daily driver but also used for a trail rig, i figured the 44 would be better because of everything i read but was curious. Im in an offroad group and all my jeep buddies say go for it and all my yota buddies say it wouldnt be worth it. I have the only pathy so wanted to ask here for better opinions

• Like 1

You would be running two different sets of wheels and lug nuts due to different bolt and thread patterns.

No locking hubs.

steering may be an issue if depending on how you lift your truck do to steering linkage configuration.

Also the Pathfinder is a hefty pig compared to the jeeps I would think so durability may be an issue.

I also do not know what the gear ratios in the D30s that you would have to find to match your pathfinder.

Also, you can find d30s for next to nothing so if they break you could just replace the whole axle and scrap the old.

Again, I'm not all too familiar with the dana30s so take my advice with caution and do your research.

Yea ive been reading up some. Thanks for your info and opinion though. The d30 is shorter so i would have to run adapter/spacers so that would solve the bolt pattern issue. But i think im just going to wait id rather have a good 44 than working on a 30 all the time lol. Thanks bud

• 3 weeks later...

You don't mention ratios your rig runs now and what the D30 runs.

I found that a cheap Dana was going to work out a lot more by the time I found a re gear kit and someone to install it.

Then, as mentioned before, wheels and lug patterns.

How does the D30 compare track wise to your rig. Can you fix teack width with wheel spacers or offset wheels and how does that affect you scrub radius and Ackerman angle.

This is just some questions I had to answer for myself when I did my 97 D21 Hardbody SAS. I have no idea how your rig compares, so take my input lightly.

I ended up using a Nissan axle and still got things horribly wrong.

Post progress pics please. I love watching these Nissans grow up to SFA.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

The d30 i was going to get was only like $100 but with no gears,it was just slightly wider so spacers in the rear would have worked. I am in an offroad group and was talked out of the axle though due to strength reasons so im going with the waggy d44 instead

The d30 i was going to get was only like $100 but with no gears,it was just slightly wider so spacers in the rear would have worked. I am in an offroad group and was talked out of the axle though due to strength reasons so im going with the waggy d44 instead

This is one of those things that always raised an eyebrow when I read it. It came up on some Jeep forums I used to frequent. The guys breaking D30 have probably gone up 5 tires sizes and kept stock gears and couldn't figure out why things broke.

To put things in perspective, a D30 ring gear is about the size of the R180A ring gear. Yeah, 35" tires will work, but something's got to give eventually. But, it'd probably do just fine for a more moderate setup.

I have a hard time liking the Waggy D44, though. It's just an old axle. Personally, I'd sooner try a JK D40/D44 with wheel adapters, if it offered some possibility of re-using the coil perches, link mounts, or ABS setup (even if it meant custom tone rings), but I'm sure it's not that cut-and-dry.

The thing i understood was the axle shafts arent strong enough to turn much more than 33's and cause a lot of stress and tend to snap. Unless you build it up but only then its strong as a stock d44 but a lot more money. So in theory its better to start with the d44, its strong enough and if you ever do need to replace shafts ive heard its cheaper also. Again this is just things ive heard. But running the d44 seems to be what most guys here run anyways with sas rigs. Ive looked into jeep d44's just slightly but they are 4x the price as the waggy, from prices ive found anyways