Power window Auto limit switch confusion

Hey guys.

So i'm working on the retrofitting these auto up and down power windows into my 96, spent well over 15 hours getting to this point, and probably have another 3-5 to go. But i'm already seeing an issue with one of my motors. (bought these off a junkyard 01 i should point out)

I went to investigate how to program the auto features and the FSM says to push a button that's on the motor itself, well the passenger side has a button but its hidden behind the inner sheet metal of the door. No big deal ill drill a hole to have access to said button and i figured ill do them both when i get done installing and wiring up the drivers side. This is where i found a hitch. After bolting in the drivers side i noticed there isn't a button on the drivers side motor. There is just a hole in the same spot where the passenger side reset switch is. And it looks like it peers into the motor itself (totally guessing here). I dont think the motors was replaced with a non auto one (before i pulled it off the junk car), because all of the wiring is present it looks exactly the same as the passenger aside from the missing button.

Can anyone shed some light on this. Cant imagine there are too many people who have done this, but any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks

-Kyle

P.S. ill post some pics in a little bit.

• 1 year later...

I was kind of wondering the same thing, but I have a '93.. I just pulled the regulator and motor out to repair a broken cable and I'm wondering how the Auto up/down detects when the window is at full travel. There are no 'reset' buttons anywhere.

I plugged the motor into the door harness without any cable on the spool, and after hitting auto up or down, the motor just keeps running indefinitely.

Don't want to spend a bunch of time fixing it only to have the cable rip out again!

It could be that the circuitry just waits for a current spike on the motor circuit. When the window tops or bottoms out, the motor stalls, and the amperage spike tells whatever's controlling the motor that its job is done. I suspect that's how the power antenna works.

Yeah that sounds about right. I fitted my repaired regulator and when the window reaches full travel, it stalls then there's a soft click when the motor shuts off.

Seems to put a lot of strain on the cables tho. At least I know how to fix it now :).