No start. Jumped relay, started. Replaced with new relay no start.

WarPath

Pulling into driveway noticed tach wasn't working. Parked and revved engine, no tach. Tried to put into reverse, shifter (auto) would not unlock.Turned Pathfinder off would not start thereafter. Did some research and it sounded like the inhibitor relay so I pulled it and jumped it and it started! Replaced the relay with a new relay and nothing. Take relay out and jump it it starts. Leaning towards ignition but it's a costly part to just replace and get no results. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks for they replies! Black and yellow wire on ignition switch makes my probe light up when I turn the key. I don't have a meter so I've no idea what value is being produced. Just in case I come across a meter what should I look for or does it matter?

The battery connections are clean and tight. The engine ground is also clean and connected.

Maybe more info would help. This is a 1992 pathfinder 4x4 SEV6 that just had the exhaust manifolds replaced 3 weeks before the no start issue. During those three weeks it ran like new and then wouldn't come out of park and wouldn't start issue.

I checked for loose wires and cut/crimped wires and found none. Next I disconnected the connection to the starter up by the battery and jumped started it from the battery and it fired right up leading me to believe it's an electrical issue thus starting my review of forum after forum.

I then found that if I jump the inhibitor relay it starts! In the forums a new relay fixed the problem but not this time. This time all it did was make it where I can now shift out of park. I'm not sure if this was coincidence or a result from replacing the relay. Wouldn't the park/neutral position relay be responsible for that function? Well if worse comes to worse now that I can take it out of gear, I can wire a push button to start her up and go!