Project 98 2wd!

jassbazz

I've had my 98 R50 XE since my 16th birthday and I've never done anthing to it, just driven hard and kept the fluids and seals fresh. It's time to have some fun with it because I'm getting a new daily!

I'm going to put on some 31 A/T, it's already got Toyota Prerunner wheels since I got some free tires and the rims they were on fit! The plan is to do an intake mod in the next few days, going to remove the steps and do the breaks and basically go over it.

I want to keep it with A/Ts for a while then do a 2 inch lift and perhaps 2 inch spacers for 4 inches total.

What are some things I should replace/do in the time between now and when I lift it to make it easier when I finally do it?

Love this forum, it made me fall in love with my old R50 again!

3.3 auto, 2wd, white

What are you wanting to use the truck for? Daily driver? Wheeling? Camping? what kinds of roads etc? I'm not sure what lift options you have with the 2wd, but I suppose you could go as high as you want as you don't have front cv angles to worry about. Then again, personally I don't see a reason to lift a truck unless it is to wheel it and you need the ground clearance, and in that regard you'd be better off selling it and buying a 4wd. That being said, I certainly understand the sentimental value a vehicle can have.

Definitely want to wheel it on the weekends, not going to lift it until I have another daily driver.

I honestly have to say that it is the sentimental value, plus, I already have it, why not have fun with it? haha

Would the AC set up work for me with my 2wd?

is 2 inches enough to make it capable enough to be fun?

the tranny and engine run strong, other than a cracked exhaust manifold, going to replace soon,(other options? headers?)

Also, I saw a 4x4 conversion on here once, I have most of the parts laying around from a wrecked 4x4, would it be doable with 98 4x4 parts?

Thanks for responding!!

I'm new to off-road stuff, but I've built a few fast cars. I've seen tons of guys nickel and dime themselves to death improving base platforms with expensive aftermarket upgrades. They usually end up way over budget with only moderate gains. For all the cost and time of that conversion you could sell the 2wd and pick up a little factory 4x4 and mod it out nicely. Just throwing that out as something to think about.

UPDATE!!!!!

Today just got brand new front rotors and pads, 31 Yoko Geolanders, Black wheels, removed side steps, oil change, new air filter, unclipped airbox.

I absolutely love my Pathfinder. It drives like a new car today and I had a blast going into some mud and dirt trails. Didn't stumble for a minute!

Definitely going ahead with Project 2WD!!!

4inch lift (AC 2'+Spacers)

Bull bar

Engine rebuild: August 2016

12360066_10208541052270347_8036473640018

I had mine on 37s before I ever did my swap I got tired of the huge front springs so I made coilovers for the front so I can run any wheel backspace and there adjustable in the rear I have 3/4 ton expedition springs Bc I'm always hauling something

• 2 weeks later...

It does run, but it has a lot of miles on it, and I absolutley hate leather interior, especially being in texas, and the sunroof leaks a bit.

plus, this is my pathfinder, it doesn't really matter to me if it's more difficult to do, it's mine and always has been.

And I totally applaud that mindset!

I hear you on the leather...me: black leather in AZ. Aside from being hot to the touch, it makes my ass sweat something awful!

It'll be a cool project for you, but keep a couple things in mind with this particular donor: the transfer case is an auto-mode, and is actually a bit different than the part-time 4wd t-cases found on many other Nissan's. You'll need to also transfer over a few electronic modules and wiring harnesses for this one, and depending on the year, you may need a different dash bezel to accommodate the selector switch.

You could do an engine swap to the QX4, and swap all the seats (not sure what interior colors you've got, and if it'd look tacky). But if that QX4 has the 3.5L, you're losing out on a rather decent HP improvement. Just some things to keep in mind.

Either way, keep us posted and good luck!

No sweat man! It'll be a fun project, I'm excited for you.

Don't forget, too, that it'll be a good time to change out a lot small maintenance parts and make things as fresh as possible. I might suggest the rear main seal on the engine (I presume you're pulling the transmission, too, or just the t-case?), the u-joints on the drive shafts, and boots on the CVs. Seals and gaskets for the front axle. Transmission mount. Ball joints. Yada yada.

Definitely, I'll be doing the entire assembly!

trans, everything!

Luckily I've found some awesome help on here (more to come with that)

Going to start with a cold air and a Limited Slip for the rear, followed by a 4 inch SFD, and some custom made coilovers!

After that, it'll be saving and research until the 4x4 conversion, the end goal being Gone Moab 2017 for "completion" (they're never done!)

Thinking about doing an engine rebuild kit between the 2 installments of parts, any recommendations on extending engine life and comfort?

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Does the Q have a LSD? What gears in both? A lot of people would be interested in seeing how the coilovers turn out.

No real recommendations for the engine except some of the "while you're at it..." advice. I'm not terribly familiar with the 3.3L, but you'll get plenty of advice here I'm sure.

it doesn't have the LSD unfortunately, and the same gears, hg43

I'm getting the LSD pretty soon, have a buddy with one for cheap

I'm very excited for the coilovers and will have more info coming soon, this is going to be pretty cool, guys, so stay tuned=]

just going to make a CAI and probably eventually do an electric fan set up, other than that, i'm good with the engine

• Like 1