Shocks for pathy

cham

I'm trying to improve how smooth my ride is and I currently am unsure if I need to replace struts or shocks for my 2002 pathfinder. The SUV leans a lot going around turns, even at relatively low speeds. It doesn't really bounce or spring up and down after a bump, more of like a rough bump meaning it hits hard and has a loud thump. What should I do to fix this so I notice the bumps less and don't lean as hard. If I should replace shocks or struts, any recommendations for a smooth ride but also decent off road capabilities (upgrade from OEM)?

I upgraded from stock to Old Man Emu on my 04 about a month ago. I couldn't be any happier. No lean, no noise, smooth ride and I got almost a 2 inch lift which makes the truck look tough. Picked them up online and had a local mechanic install them.

The rear springs sag and get soft on these trucks. Your options are to replace with moog aftermarket but same type of rear spring, or do what is mentioned above and switch to old man emu or automotive customizers lift springs. I wanted max lift so I wine with Ac, but if ride comfort is what you are after go with one of the old man emu setups.

Good luck

Edited by NovaPath

The SUV leans a lot going around turns, even at relatively low speeds"

"it hits hard and has a loud thump"

These symptoms tell me that your front sway bar is a problem. You may have destroyed your rubber bushings and now your sway bar isn't effective. The thump you hear could be the sway bar smacking the bushing shells.

First replace your sway bar bushings and end links in the front. Check and replace the rear sway bar gear if needed.

Then decide if the truck seems to handle well.

You mentioned a rough bump. That may be your perception of the sway bar banging, or it could be that your shocks/struts are blown and not providing any compression damping. After you address the sway bar, if you still have that problem, then you will want to consider replacing your struts and you may as well replace the springs with a truck this old. I would recommend stock replacement parts from Moog unless you have a specific requirement for a non-stock ride or ride height.

Is the thump from the back or the front? If front listen to jyeager, if it's from the back it is most likely bottoming out from soft springs. I know from experience as mine used to do it before the lift.

• 11 months later...

It was from the back of the vehicle actually. I got the bushings for my sway bar replaced during April of 2016 and it made a hell of a difference but it seems like the leaning around turns and rough riding has come back to a certain degree. I think new shocks and struts sound like the best idea at this point.

The harsh bang is the bump stops hitting on rear, they are unforgiving... Mine would jar your teeth when I pulled a lawnmower trailer.

The MOOG replacements in the front were rated just a tad higher than stock I believe. Def a thicker coil and fixed my sag even though the coil was a 1/2" shorter than stock.

If your bottoming out shocks probably won't fix that completely without springs. I would run OME struts or the KYBs. I like the KYBs for the price and ride quality. They only come in the standard KYB for fronts but you can get mono tube or gas adjust in rear, stiffer is better.

Once you get your suspension in order. I recommend installing a missing link, it helped my cornering tremendously.

• 3 years later...
On 12/14/2015 at 11:43 AM, smccahill said:

I upgraded from stock to Old Man Emu on my 04 about a month ago. I couldn't be any happier. No lean, no noise, smooth ride and I got almost a 2 inch lift which makes the truck look tough. Picked them up online and had a local mechanic install them.

Where did you get your lift?