Toyota Wheels on an R50

jjonez

I was hoping to get some insight on my little project to make sure I’m on the right track.

So I picked up a set of 16x7’s from a 1998 4runner for meager 50 bucks, with the intention of replacing the stock 15x7’s on my R50 and throwing on some 265/75/R16 tires, all complementing the 2” spacer lift from 4x4 Design which I have already installed.

Couple things about the 4runner wheels:

-Backspacing is ~4.5” if I measured correctly, so I will be getting spacers

-Center bore is slightly bigger than stock wheels, ~a few mm

-It appears they use shank style lugs as opposed to the tapered ones that I currently have

-According to my research 4runner studs are M12x1.5 and Pathfinder’s are M12x1.25

Based off this information I can’t use the lug nuts that I currently have due to the taper, correct? It seems like my best bet is if I used OEM 4runner lug nuts to mount the new wheels to the spacers, and then hope that my spacer kit can include M12x1.25 lugs for mounting the spacer to the hub.

Additionally, should I be worrying about getting “hub-centric rings” or something of the like for mounting the spacers? As I don’t know of anything sold with our exact bore size. I’ve browsed other topics and it seems people tend to think that it’s not an issue as long as the lugs are torqued in the proper sequence.

Sorry for the length, so does anyone have experience installing Toyota wheels on their pathfinder? Is there anything I’m overlooking or is my thought process ok? Also, are there any recommended products/manufacturers you guys have?

Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks for reading!

J

Here is my experience:

The big difference between Nissan and Toyota is that Nissan wheels are lug centric while Toyota's are hub centric. So, like you mentioned you'll need to get the shank style lugs to be able to mount the wheel. For center bore, I found a hub centric ring from a specialty shop online, which matched the Toyota wheel for the OD and the Nissan hub for the ID. I'll figure out where I bought those and let you know. For the lugs that I bought online they turned out to be too long. So, on short notice I got lucky and found 24 quarter inch lug washers at my local O'Reilly's to make up the difference. For back spacing, I have had no issues with any rubbing. (With 2" lift)

Hope this helps, I'll try to get some more pics together.

IMAG1429fg.jpg

Thanks for the info, those are the correct center bores as far as I know. So you didn't need any spacers ("adapters") to fit your wheels and tires? Say I went with them anyways, would I still need hub centric rings for the inner diameter of the spacer and the hub? I'm not turning up anything that says so... Also, I'm getting the impression that I should shy away from the cheap ebay lugs, such as some of these: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/toyota-lug-nuts

Instead I was gonna try and grab some from a nearby junkyard that has a ton of old 4runners in their inventory.

Edited by jjonez

No spacers. I forget the offset of these Toyota rims... they are the same specs as the 5 spoke style that came on the 98 4Runners and T100's. If you get spacers, you'll def need to make sure it is hubcentric from hub to wheel and all gaps in between. Without centering the wheel onto the Nissan hub you'll never be able to center the wheel using the lug nuts, since they are not beveled.

For lugs, don't forget that Toyota lugs use a different thread pitch than Nissan. You'll need to find Nissan thread with the shank style lug. Or, replace all 24 studs on the Pathfinder with Toyota thread pitch. You could get them slightly longer which would help make the longer Shank lugs fit better.

Edited by FriedEGs

The lugs on this ebay would work well. They are Nissan shank style and are shorter than the one's that I bought. I wanted way cool black and couldn't find them in this shorter length.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Chrome-Mag-Seat-Lug-Nuts-For-Nissan-Factory-OEM-Aluminum-Wheels-M12x1-25-/141715239777?fits=Make%3ANissan&hash=item20fee2f361:g:eK8AAOSwPcVV0-ld&vxp=mtr

So you actually had a good experience with ebay lugs? I might get these then, as I also found a Nissan-specific hub centric wheel spacer with a 100mm CB and 12x1.25 studs. Couple those with 106mm to 100mm hub centric rings and I think I've got my setup! Just need tires now haha. Thanks for the help!