Weird pop/thump

Mr. Pickles

Over the last week, the Pathy has developed an annoying and concerning trick. On left turns (and occassionally speed bumps, which I have to cross several at home) I get a pop/thump that can be heard and felt under the right um "cheek" and the center console when leaning on it. It seems to mainly occur while in gear while turning, and especially while at lower speeds in 1st and 2nd gear. Its a solid whack, and sometimes comes in a series like thump-thump-thump. If I slowly turn and steer gently, it won't really happen, but if I go faster it seems to excite it. I've crawled all around under and can't seem to find anything. I scoped everything in that general vicinity. Checked and cranked the seat mounting bolts, and all of the body mounting bolts because of the recent body lift. Tbar mounts/adjusters in the crossmember seem fine. Exhaust is solid. Drive shaft seems good with no apparently movement or slop. Transfer case does move slightly when I push and shake it hard, but not much. That concerned me though.

Sooo... has anybody experienced this type of noise or bump, or does anybody have any suggestions?

hey man, i think i know what it is, i had the same problem. it's that "u" shape bar that's around the driveshaft. i think it's like a support to keep the drive shaft from hitting the ground if it ws to break off. it's connect right under the center console and hits the cross member. it may be that, check it out, i took mine off. if you don't nkow what i'm talking about me, let me know and i'll take a picture and post it up. i'm pretty sure you know what i'm talking about.

Hey Mr P ! OK, I'm just pi$$ing in the wind here, but it seems lift and/or speed related. The fact that your transfer case moves does not sound good. I dont know if you have auto or manual, but in my manual the t-case is solid mouned to the tranny... It wont move if the tranny doesnt... The fact that it 'excites' with speed indicates drive train... Could your universals be having problems ? Have you torqued the front cross member ? (although that is not speed realted) Is your 4 wheel shifter getting pushed ? Only on left turns... Steering related ? @!*%e man, sounds wierd, but be patient before tearing into things. Maybe someone else has a better idea...

I would't say the transfer case moves around much at all, just a slight bit when push hard. Its more like you could budge an engine or tranny slightly if you pushed hard enough. I'm not sure if that's ok, or if it is supposed to be absolutely solidly mounted. But its probably just fine there. That driveshaft hoop is interesting, I think I'll take it off and see if it goes away. There seems to be enough clearance around it, but who knows. 2 bolts, its worth a shot.

I had something like this and it was the T-bar rubbing on a bracket. I had someone remove the t-bar and grind a half inch off the bracket and replace the t-bar and problem solved. You might want to see if your t-bar sagged and is now rubbing on something, Just my 2c. Good luck.