Half shafts and alarm

BrianD

The horn started blasting like someone was trying to break into my 98 Pathy just now but there was no one around. I was in my garage on feet away when it went off. I don't want it happening in the middle of the night or while I'm away from the vehicle.

I opened the drivers door and the horn stopped beeping. I started it - no prolm.

What now? Is it gonna start on fire?? I also need to replace both front drive shafts because the boots are torn. Any advice on the best replacement parts for the lowest cost? I rarely go off roading.

I'm in Kitchener - near Toronto, Canada so I bleev shipping will be outta the question.

Aaand while I'm at it - I nvr did find the prolm with the rear window wiper even tho I had it rebuilt. Suggestions pls and thanx.

Alarm could be anything...door left cracked is common cause. Is it aftermarket or oem?

Half shafts go to your local auto parts store and find who has them. I would not go for cheapest. Best option is to buy used factory ones and replace the boots yourself.

Have you made sure the motor is getting voltage? Checked fuses and relays? If it is not the motor it is time to get out the fsm and start digging through the wiring to find your short or failed component.

Good Luck!

Alarm could be anything...door left cracked is common cause. Is it aftermarket or oem?

Half shafts go to your local auto parts store and find who has them. I would not go for cheapest. Best option is to buy used factory ones and replace the boots yourself.

Have you made sure the motor is getting voltage? Checked fuses and relays? If it is not the motor it is time to get out the fsm and start digging through the wiring to find your short or failed component.

Good Luck!

I actually found that the passenger door was a "c "hair away from being closed/ open and that was prolly the cause of the alarm going off. Thanx

As for the wiper - I had it turn a few times on me after replacing the brushes but that was the end of it working. There's a LOT of wires to trace - I suck at wiring. I had the switch out too I found nuthin obvious. Relay? UH..

fuses were also gud. What is a FSM? Thanx

I actually found that the passenger door was a "c "hair away from being closed/ open and that was prolly the cause of the alarm going off. Thanx

As for the wiper - I had it turn a few times on me after replacing the brushes but that was the end of it working. There's a LOT of wires to trace - I suck at wiring. I had the switch out too I found nuthin obvious. Relay? UH..

fuses were also gud. What is a FSM? Thanx

FSM = Factory Service Manual.

For instance, my '97's manual is available at: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder/1997_Pathfinder/

Yours will be in the same place, but in the 1998 folder.

Behind the rear hatch plastic trim on the driver's side you have a WIPER AMP. (at least that's how it's labeled).

Is it really am amplifier? Who knows. Maybe. Or maybe it's a fancy relay.

You could check that part...or at least check for voltage on the right pins in the harness when your switch is in the 2 positions.

Good Luck!

Ya man - I found later that the passenger door was a "c" hair from being open/ closed so that was prolly the cause of the alarm. Thanx for that. I saw sum guys with their broken new 1/2 shafts on line and have sum leads on what and where to buy them now - they said the same thing - thanx 2 x - The wiper motor has/ had voltage - a few years ago when we were working on it. I got it to turn a few times and that was it. Fuses were Ok - RELAYS? ..uhmm. I dunno 'bout that or where even to look. What is an FSM? Thanx 3x Cheers

I'm not familiar with the problem you've had with your rear wiper.

What was the problem you had? And how did you conclude the motor needed to be rebuilt?

When I 1st got my Pathy I saw the assembly was seized ( the"axle" was rusted solid)so I removed it and had it rebuilt with new brushes etc - I connected it to a 12 volt battery on my bench before re-installing it and it werkd fine. A buddy and I tried trbl shooting the switch and wiring but only got a few turns out of it b4 it quit again. I haven't tried anything since a few years ago now. The local Auto Electric place wants $95 and hour to look at it..shheesh! so it sits doon nuthin' till I can get sum advice on what to do next.Thanx man.

If the motor works fine on 12v direct, it's not the motor. I'm not familiar with the linkage for the R50 wipers, but my WD has a little pushbutton switch that makes it run until it finds its "park" position (off the window). That would be another thing to check. I would expect it to be normally closed (meter shows continuity until you push the button). If those are good, check for voltage where the motor plugs in to see if power's getting to it in the first place.