VG30i blew up on the highway, will tbi intake go on VG30E?

trexterra

I'm fairly certain that the answer to this is yes, but I have found a long block out of a 91-95 pathfinder to replace my blown motor on the 87. I'm looking for a quick fix to get her running and on the road again so i'm hoping that I can just throw the TBI intake on to the fuel injected motor and not have to worry about sourcing an ECM right now. I've done all of the googling I can for now but I will continue my search.

The blocks are identical. Any VG30 with the exception of one out of a Z31 can be swapped to TBI, or from TBI with the intake manifold and plenum/throttle body.

The later engines might have a knock sensor that you won't have a spot for in your harness.

Be sure to check all of your clutch components, and make sure you have the proper bearing/bushing for your transmission.

Make sure the keyway for the harmonic balancer isn't damaged, when you get a timing belt you'll have to order one for the vg30e. They have round cogs and a 100k change interval.

I'd replace all main seals. Exhaust manifold gasket and plane the manifolds flat, and replace those broken studs.

thanks for the info, this motor supposedly had 90k on it when pulled but there's really no way to know for sure. It is fairly clean but there was a little crud in a few of the plug holes so despite the fact all cylinders make compression it's obviously going to need to be pulled apart and get all the seals/gaskets replaced. I'll make sure to order kits for the vg30e though.

Make sure the keyway for the harmonic balancer isn't damaged, when you get a timing belt you'll have to order one for the vg30e. They have round cogs and a 100k change interval.

Sorry, but 1 minor correction though. The early Pathfinder VG30e had square tooth timing belt with 60k mile change interval, the later years had the rounded tooth belt with 105k mile change interval; the change point was somewhere mid year 1993. If you aren't certain which yours is, it would be best to look before ordering any parts. You should be able to get the top cover to move enough to see quite easily...

B

• Like 2

Sorry, but 1 minor correction though. The early Pathfinder VG30e had square tooth timing belt with 60k mile change interval, the later years had the rounded tooth belt with 105k mile change interval; the change point was somewhere mid year 1993. If you aren't certain which yours is, it would be best to look before ordering any parts. You should be able to get the top cover to move enough to see quite easily...

B

Awesome, glad I didn't order yet because i'm not sure which one it has. Just got an engine stand today so should be able to start the tear down process this weekend. My next question is am I going to have to order a gasket kit for the VG30i since i'm putting the TBI on it? or will the VG30E kit work? The evergreen kits on amazon aren't the most explicit.

The lower intake gaskets along with a few others are the same but you should really get a set for the TBI. Make sure you get lower intake gaskets that are metal with rubber o-rings. No sealing issues and they are reusable as long as they don't get screwed up...

Head gaskets are a year range thing. Up to '3/87 is one style, '4/87+ are another regardless of injection. I wouldn't pull the heads off unless the new motor has an issue.

Edited by Kingman