lift parts without the lift

hey guys so ive been looking around and talking to a few members and I wanted to know your thought on putting on control arms designed for a 3' lift but without the lift kit. I have two young kinds so lifting it is not really an option at the moment. Now I guess the real answer is would that give me any type of benefit at the stock height? like always that's for the info

The only benefit would be down travel. And the suspension will only extend as much as the shock will let it.

I have AC upper arms with stock length shocks and the bump stops removed. Doesn't fully extend where the arm contacts the frame. Eventually plan on low profile bump stops and longer Rancho shocks front and rear to gain max down travel.

As it sits the suspension works really well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

In all honesty, the stock control arms are plenty strong and it is usually the bushings that take the beating anyway. If you put on aftermarket arms with different geometry and don't lift it, the ball joints might be at severe angles (aftermarket arms generally compensate for ball joint angle once lifted) and it might also create alignment issues as well since they tend to be longer IIRC.

I'd argue against installing aftermarket arms without lifting it, I just don't see any benefit. Rather save the $ and replace the control arm bushings and especially the tension rod bushings which are often overlooked.

B

You've never driven in LA before, have you B.? Lol. ;)

I agree, and in a way disagree. Keep in mind I'm learning as I work on my pathfinder even though I've been at Nissan over 9 years.

What I found with mine was the rear Springs were sagged really bad. Replaced them with OME and got 1 and 3/4 lift. But had negative caster. Then I replaced all the front suspension bushings with polyurethane and adjusted the torsion bars to level it front to rear. Had way negative camber and caster afterwards. Bought longer uca bolts and some washers to get it aligned where I was happy with the results. Lastly was able to buy some AC uca's used and after installing them went back to all the stock length bolts and reshimed to bring alignment into where I was happy with ( spent a lot of time on our alignment rack). I found the end result in my case being vehicle level front to rear, more down travel in the front, way better ride off the pavement and dropping into holes or sharp bumps(like going over a speed bump to fast ). However I have the luxury of a full shop/dealer at my disposal to play around with setup on mine.

But generally I 150% agree that going that route for the average guy is time and money that can be better spent on more necessary repairs. Lastly I really like your pathfinder, love that color. Seems like all the ones out here are red or white.

There are arms that are beefy but do not correct any ball joint angle for lift, they should be OK. The ones that are offset and longer should be avoided as that'll throw the camber in the positive at stock height.

The AC arms are the only ones I have seen that don't change the ball joint angle or aren't longer. They seem beefier, but when is the last time you have read about bent stock control arms? It isn't exactly a common problem... Why bother?

You've never driven in LA before, have you B.? Lol. ;)
I agree, and in a way disagree. Keep in mind I'm learning as I work on my pathfinder even though I've been at Nissan over 9 years.
What I found with mine was the rear Springs were sagged really bad. Replaced them with OME and got 1 and 3/4 lift. But had negative caster. Then I replaced all the front suspension bushings with polyurethane and adjusted the torsion bars to level it front to rear. Had way negative camber and caster afterwards. Bought longer uca bolts and some washers to get it aligned where I was happy with the results. Lastly was able to buy some AC uca's used and after installing them went back to all the stock length bolts and reshimed to bring alignment into where I was happy with ( spent a lot of time on our alignment rack). I found the end result in my case being vehicle level front to rear, more down travel in the front, way better ride off the pavement and dropping into holes or sharp bumps(like going over a speed bump to fast ). However I have the luxury of a full shop/dealer at my disposal to play around with setup on mine.
But generally I 150% agree that going that route for the average guy is time and money that can be better spent on more necessary repairs. Lastly I really like your pathfinder, love that color. Seems like all the ones out here are red or white.

Only a few times on the way to Baja, but I normally avoid it like the plague. I hate the LA area, but to be fair, I hate the SF bay area as well so it is nothing personal. Having 10 million of your closest friends swarming around you makes my skin crawl for some reason....

As for potholes though, it isn't all that great up here either. My mom lives in Petaluma, 25 miles away: http://napavalleyregister.com/news/petaluma-once-again-declared-pothole-capital-of-the-bay-area/article_5d6f8f00-8cfc-5c46-94c7-fe510213a2bc.html

My point that I made above is that I can't recall the last time that someone bent a stock control arm. They simply aren't a weak point in the suspension, and you can install aftermarket poly bushings in them as well. If anything, the spindles might bend...

For someone not to lift, not have access to an alignment machine, etc, I just don't see the point other than bragging rights. :shrug:

Yes, you are lucky to have the knowledge and access to equipment to mess with alignment. I have lifetime alignment with the local Firestone who seem to know what they are doing, but I suspect if you go in too often, they stop taking you seriously. I'm waiting to install my Sway-Away T-bars, ARB bumper with winch and cross drill the UCA spindles for cotter pins/castle nuts before it goes in next time. Longer bolts should probably be on the list as well...

Thanks for the compliment! The paint is a bit more faded since the picture you saw, but this winter it is going into the garage for a lot of love, a good buffing and wax as part of it. My first WD21 was a burgundy 5 speed, and I miss it...

B