Fix or Sell? (New Poster, please dont kill me!)

lyrikal

Hello Pathfinder Family!

So i have a 2003 pathfinder SE. I am completely car inept, shame on me i know. So i checked the transmission fluid about 3 weeks ago it was fine. Driving along last week and suddenly i cant get into 3rd or 4th gear just 1st and 2nd, yep that dreaded transmission/radiator problem. Im contemplating selling it and buying another used car or fixing it but i dont know which is the better solution. I heard fixing it can run anywhere from 2-4K depending on where you go. I was technically given the car so i really didnt spend anything on it, im not sure if i should spend 3K to fix it or just sell it (for how much?) as is and go for something else. Keep in mind any matinenece id be bringing it into the shop, really just not sure what to do. Hoping some of you have some advice for me! If i violated some sort of forum rule as this is my first post very sorry, just need some advice and have nowhere to turn!

Thanks Guys!

Has about 125K miles on it, very clean ran great until this :(

Thanks megaton, even though I can't get it into 3rd or 4th gear you still think it may be changing not the fluid and I possibly may not have to replace the tranny? That would be music to my ears. It's an automatic 3.5 v6

Since it sounds obvious that you will not be performing any of the work yourself (no shame in that), I'd say find a trusted mechanic, have the radiator replaced, cooling system fully flushed and flush the transmission fluid and change the filter. If you haven't driven it long in this condition, you should be good. Coolant in the transmission fluid will cause a lot of slippage and internal pressure issues (think of an auto trans as a hydraulic pump, it's designed to work with certain pressures that pertain to specific fluid, introduce a foreign fluid and it will not behave as designed), but as long as it was not driven for a long period like that chances are internal damage would be minimal.

Not having an initial investment in this vehicle, it would be foolish to not put some money into trying to save it. To do what I mentioned above, it will be less than $750 (honestly it should be no more than 500ish). Selling it as-is you'd probably get $2000 or less, whereas a clean 03 4x4 with 125k in good running order brings 4500-6000 in my local market. With limited vehicular/mechanical knowledge, buying a used car is a crap shoot, unless you're lucky enough to have a close friend or family member that is selling something that you want.

What makes you think it's the transmission cooler issue? IIRC the Strawberry Milkshake of Death issue didn't start until the next generation with the four liter.

Having a mechanic read the trouble codes for the transmission could tell you a lot. I would hazard a guess at a shift solenoid that's gotten bound up (assuming the wiring to the transmission isn't damaged).

Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah I know a guy or two that sells used cars so I'm pretty confident but I love the pathy. Maybe I will go get a second opinion, I was told the radiator broke leaking fluid into the tranny, I'm going to bring it to a transmission shop today though and see.

I'm hoping due diligence is done in finding the problem, not just outright saying it needs a transmission even though it might. Losing 3rd and 4th is a typical internal failure with the RE4s albeit more common on the older models.

Edited by Kingman

Thank you 01, slart, and King man. A trusting mechanic is priceless! I'm going to get a second opinion today, I did notice the whole raditor/transmission thing was a problem with models after mine. I'm hoping they tell me better news, if I relay some of this wisdom I'm hoping they do the right thing. Cross your fingers!!! You guys are the real

Experts I'm praying it's just a negligent mechanic and not totaled.