Wife just got her Pathfinder, but there's a few electrical issues...

DanF.

Howdy, my wife just bought a 2004 Pathfinder SE 4x4 (new member post here: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/6763-welcome-new-members/page-22?do=findComment&comment=760198), and it has a few electrical gremlins.

1.) The cigarette lighter fuse blows every time I replace it. I've only plugged my cell phone charger into it once, and it blew the fuse in about an hour.

2.) 12v accessory outlet inside armrest doesn't work at all. I don't know what fuse to check for this.

3.) The dreaded crappy stereo (non-Bose) problems that seem to affect a lot of Nissans are also present here.

• The door speakers (front and back) seem to work intermittently. No rhyme or reason when they will cut on/off.
  • Front tweeters seem to work, but only driver's side works 100%

What areas should I look in to solve these problems? I've searched this website, but unfortunately I'm not getting good hits.

Thanks.

Edited by DanF.

1. My guess is this fuse is blowing because it is shorting out on something else. Check the wiring and look for any exposed wires (eg. Something rubbing on a metal support) also double check that you have the right amp fuse. Somebody in the past may have replaced it with one they had laying around

2. Don't know which fuse and I have the prefacelift r50

3. Replace it all. Usually they are just old and worn out. I recently replaced the factory head unit and all four factory door speakers. Made a world of difference. If you already have after market speakers I bet you do still have the factory amp and that is the issue.

Someone else may have better advice but that might be a place to start

Fun stuff. Welcome aboard!

First question...when you say crappy stereo, you're talking about a stock radio, right? Any suspicions that someone's been working on the radio or any other electronic accessory and tapped into the wires back there? Everything routes through the area under/behind the radio.

You can pull up the center console pretty easily just by removing some screws to see if the cable has been disconnected (or damage, or other). Getting the radio bezel off is a little trickier since the clips that hold it in are pretty snug (they were on mine)...I wedge in plastic cards and trim panel removers to take mine off.

Edited by hawairish

1. My guess is this fuse is blowing because it is shorting out on something else. Check the wiring and look for any exposed wires (eg. Something rubbing on a metal support) also double check that you have the right amp fuse. Somebody in the past may have replaced it with one they had laying around

2. Don't know which fuse and I have the prefacelift r50

3. Replace it all. Usually they are just old and worn out. I recently replaced the factory head unit and all four factory door speakers. Made a world of difference. If you already have after market speakers I bet you do still have the factory amp and that is the issue.

Someone else may have better advice but that might be a place to start

I'll be pulling the stereo out either tonight, or tomorrow morning to check for loose/bad wiring. I imagine that it's going to be a difficult fix, and will probably just replace the original base model (non-Bose) stereo and wiring.

Fun stuff. Welcome aboard!

First question...when you say crappy stereo, you're talking about a stock radio, right? Any suspicions that someone's been working on the radio and tapped into the wires back there? Everything routes through the area under/behind the radio.

You can pull up the center console pretty easily just by removing some screws to see if the cable has been disconnected (or damage, or other).

Yes, this is the stock, base model (non-Bose) stereo. There's no evidence that I can see that it's ever been tampered with.

Thanks for the tip on the center console/armrest. I'll give it a look.

If you find wiring that has been damaged or worn, it's usually easy to fix. But finding it isn't always easy.

Electrical problems suck!

Electricity is basically black magic.