overdrive issues

spk3391

I have a 1992 Nissan Pathfinder, 3.5L engine V6, automatic transmission. The overdrive on it does not seem to be kicking in. The indicator light turns on and off when depress the button but their is no change in the performance. I have look online and cannot find any information on the overdrive. No diagrams, no fuses, no relays. I hope that someone can either tell me what I can do to fix this or at least direct me to where I can get the information.

just re-read your post...unless you've done an engine swap your 92 should have the vg30 3L engine. that button on the gear selector will lock out the overdrive. otherwise it is always on. when it is off the transmission will hold 3rd gear longer. overdrive is your final highway gear. when going up steep hills and the trany is hunting between 3rd and 4th turning off overdrive keeps the rev's up and steady on the hills.

I guess the only other thing is an internal problem with the transmission which could be a solenoid, stuck ball switch thingy or .... something else. There is a diagnostic section in the FSM, though I haven't looked specifically for anything in regards to the O/D.

Also known to not kick into overdrive until the internal trans fluid had reached 80 Celsius, so I don't know if this might be the case but check that it's fully warmed up. It might not be getting warm enough. Mine will only stay in 3rd until it's warmed up fully after 5 mins.

• Like 1