transmission oil cooler lines

Remus92

So I wasted my day off yesterday trying to fix a PO f up.

So the previous owner replaced the radiator and jerry rigged the auto trans cooler lines going into the bottom.

There are supposed to be barbed hose connectors to go to the lines. This guy took air hose and hose clamps and made something work.

Napa, fastenal, and other stores couldn't help. So I'm going to be calling around to junk yards to try to locate a 96-99 r50.

Can anyone with an auto trans tell me how those house barbs are attached?

Mine has...IMG_20150801_165634851_zpsipuwopqu.jpg

IMG_20150801_165604461_zpstppzmbkl.jpg

A 3/8 pipe fitting for but the threads were different. And a 1/2 inch nut was too small and 5/8 nut was too big.... While trying to find the thread/size.

Napa can get me a new radiator... And Nissan shows I can replace the bottom section of radiator. Don't want to do that if I don't have to...

So before I head to a jy does anyone know if there is actually a fitting that screws on??? Or whether my time would be better spent buying a new radiator and tracking this guy down to kick him in the balls? Lol jk.

Also looks like my maf might be bad. Clean it and it runs nice... And slowly gets rougher after a few miles. Had a code pop up yesterday. So I have to run that before I go buy a sensor but I'm guessing that is what is the cause of that issue....

Oh... And this was used to splice one of the air hoses onto the original line... Yes. I found that jammed into the trans cooler line...

IMG_20150801_151240340_zpsk88nqgie.jpg

Edit: spelling

Edited by Remus92

That's a stepping stone towards finding something... Fastenal had a bunch of jic but no an. I will look into that.

Still probably going to have to go to junk yards though... I love these easy "looking" projects

I just went through a similar process. I bought an oil cooler, one of the fittings sent was wrong and needed another. From your description it sounds like you have a #6 JIC, or AN fitting. This is the best for fluid connections. Find a hydraulic or hose fitting supplier an they will definitely have it. I used a #6 to a 3/8 barbed adapter." Hoses and fittings etc" is a national chain that might have a location near you.

Oh, by the way. JIC and AN are the same thread and flange pitch. AN is usually aluminum and used on automotive applications. JIC is industrial standard and made from many materials

You can definitely use either. I used JIC

Edited by TowndawgR50

Thanks for the help guys!

Also I should ask because I was hesitant to mess with it too much. Does that fitting unscrew from there? Or is it sandwiched by washers and nuts on both sides?

I will definitely be looking into sizing so I make sure I find the right fitting so I don't end up ordering or buying a bunch of junk I don't need.

Edit: the 3/8 fitting they had at fastenal started on but didn't want to thread on more than a couple of turns so I did not force the issue.

Edited by Remus92

I hear you. Not one local auto store, even speed shop, had them in stock or even knew about them. Then I went the JIC route and googled local suppliers for hydraulic fittings and found a spot 15minutes away.

Yes number 6 female to 3/8 barb.

Thanks guys, I was slightly annoyed yesterday from the time wasted at local stores to come up with less than nothing!

I'm alright with ordering parts instead of driving to another store. From my area I'm assuming the closest store that would carry these would be 45 miles or more away. I'm not needing to drive out right now... So I can wait another few days!

Nothing weird on the transmission end. He didn't get any further back than those hoses. Thankfully... With that level of jerry rigging

Edited by Remus92

That's a stepping stone towards finding something... Fastenal had a bunch of jic but no an. I will look into that.

Still probably going to have to go to junk yards though... I love these easy "looking" projects

JIC was my guess by the looks of it.

Oh, by the way. JIC and AN are the same thread and flange pitch. AN is usually aluminum and used on automotive applications. JIC is industrial standard and made from many materials

You can definitely use either. I used JIC

Well, there it is...

Thanks for the help guys!

Also I should ask because I was hesitant to mess with it too much. Does that fitting unscrew from there? Or is it sandwiched by washers and nuts on both sides?

I will definitely be looking into sizing so I make sure I find the right fitting so I don't end up ordering or buying a bunch of junk I don't need.

Edit: the 3/8 fitting they had at fastenal started on but didn't want to thread on more than a couple of turns so I did not force the issue.

Yes, it unscrews...

Well, it does on the WD21s...

I'm almost certain you could have just grabbed that hex flange and unscrewed it/replaced it with whatever you wanted. (barbed fitting, etc)

I hate plumbing, even on cars...

B

So frustrated right now.

Got the parts in. Yes they screwed on. But not enough threads to tighten down. Emailed the place to ask if they had a non swivel version. They said no and asked for a picture.

Then told me it's sae and to go look at propane plumbing items at home depot.

Back to square one.

I may try Napa and the hardware store in town again. And try to avoid talking to people attempting to help as all they did last time was tell me they had nothing that would work as soon as I started describing where the piece was and what the dimensions were...

If I loosen the nut on there antifreeze starts leaking immediately... I don't think I probably have any wiggle room to get more threads.

Edited by Remus92

Alright making headway. So the AN 6 threaded on. But I don't have enough threads on the bit sticking out of the radiator to tighten it down.

I cannot find any AN or SAE or JIC fittings that will fit without the swivel.

Now npt fittings have female to hose barb fittings that are solid. Google assisted me in piecing together that AN 6 threads are the equivalent of npt 3/8x18 and the standard pitch on the 3/8 npt is 18...

So I ordered a 3/8 fitting with npt threads... This should work as long as the damn part is actually solid like it appears to be and not a swivel!! Fingers crossed! This may be solved!

3/8 NPT is not the same. #6 JIC/AN fitting thread pitch is 9/16x18.

If by swivel you are referring to the nut spinning independently of the hose barb that doesn't exist with these types of fittings. Thats how they are compressed for a good seal. If you were to have a solid connection between the barb and nut the male end would gall against the female end of the barb, damaging the mating surfaces, causing a poor seal and leaks, especially with an aluminum or brass AN fitting.

see this chart for AN/JIC sizes. The line going to a #6 fitting would be 3/8 but the thread pitch is not 3/8 or NPT thread.

http://www.lostracing.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/jic.jpg