Still clanking

I thought for sure it was my front sway bar but after replacing the bushings tonight the clunk is still there. I did notice when I remove the front sway bar mount the boot behind it for the tie rod is blown open and grease is everywhere. I suspect my tie rods inner and outer are bad. Does anyone know the procedure for replacing them? Do I just buy the tie rod kit? That comes with the boot? Is that all I need? Your help is appreciated. Thanks mike

I recently replaced mine. If you are able to rent a tie rod tool that would make your life easier to remove the inners. But a small pipe wrench will do the job too, that's what I used. The process is not too difficult as long as your parts cooperate. There is a washer that needs to have its tabs bent back so the head can spin. There are multiple DIY videos on YouTube, most tie rod applications are the same or similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So did you use the pipe wrench make it all up to the hex on the inner tie rod? It looks like if I remove the sway bar mounts I have plenty of access to them. I have never done tie rods however I have fixed everything on my truck myself. So I am mechanically inclined. I did just watch a video and it seems pretty straight forward. It's a good thing I did because I wouldn't have counted the rotations of the outer tie rod end to try to match the alignment

Well it looks like it's going to be full rack and pinion tie rods and power steering pump. It seems like it would be a fairly simple install. Have any of you done this or had experience with this?

You can do inner and outers or just outers. Depends on what you need. Sounds like you need a lot. I did both of mine. I did not remove the sway bar. I didn't have to remove anything. Just make sure you have zap straps to tie the boots back on when you're done. There isn't a "kit" AFAIK, I bought the parts I needed form autoparts warehouse.

Ok do you happen to know the part number for the straps I need? And my passenger side tie rod boot is blown. Well my mechanic buddy told me to make sure that it didn't leak power steering fluid everywhere. So right then I knew what happened. About 2 months ago I went and played in a little mud and crawled some gnarly rutted hills. My steering started to feel harder but I wrote it off. Well I noticed the next day that when the motor was running it whines a little. I figured I got mud in something but I should have known better. I check my power steering tank and it's empty. So I figure if in already doing rack and pinion might as well take care of the whole steering system especially since I have been driving for a month and a half with it whining

I actually just did mine about 2 weeks ago, trying to solve a clunk in the steering. Symptom was a clunk when slightly turning the wheel, engine on, but not moving.

Changed the outers first, then the inners a few weeks later, i don't recommend this and its a HUGE PIA.

I had no idea there was a tool that could be used to get the inners off the rack, i just popped the rack out mounts far enough (after removing the sway bar mounts, and zip tieing the sway bar up and out of the way) to get a universal wrench on the inners. This of course is much better when you have a buddy to help hold the rack in place. (hopefully not a buddy like mine who somehow figured out how to strip the M14 X 1.5 bolts that hold the rack in, taps are awesome, lets just leave it at that.)All while you reef on the likely 15 year old parts. My car has never been in a salt state, and has very little rust, but even then, the parts needed some serious convincing to come out.

Make sure that you either count how many turns the outer tie rods turn on to the inner tie rods, or just match the lengths with everything off the car. I messed up a little and had my tires squealing going around corners, happily, its only 9 miles to my closest's alignment center.

That being said, it did not solve my clunk, it did stop my steering wheel wobbling at freeway speeds, and because of the alignment, straightened out my JDM MOMO steering wheel so its now level. But according the guys at les schwab, the noise is coming from my steering rack. So, i think im gonna hit the junkyard for one of those. hopefully find a good one, i really don't want to spend the couple hundred its most likely going to be on a new one. Im just happy that its SUPER easy to get access to the rack.

Hope that helps, let us know if you have any questions.

-Kyle

I seem to have a similar "thud" or "pop" coming from my steering when I turn the wheel. It feels like it's from the left strut, so I disassembled it yesterday, put in an new strut mount and bearing ($35CAD) reassembled everything, doing a much better job than the first time when I did it very poorly lol. However, while some sounds are gone, the "pop" in the steering is still there. A remanufactured rack and pinion from A1Cardone only costs $220 USD, and at least then you know the state of it, plus get a 3 year warranty. My concern with a JY one would be that you have no way of knowing if it's not damaged or even worse than yours. I'm sure you would hate to find out after spending hours under your truck. Plus the new racks usually come with inner tie rods.

I seem to have a similar "thud" or "pop" coming from my steering when I turn the wheel. It feels like it's from the left strut, so I disassembled it yesterday, put in an new strut mount and bearing ($35CAD) reassembled everything, doing a much better job than the first time when I did it very poorly lol. However, while some sounds are gone, the "pop" in the steering is still there. A remanufactured rack and pinion from A1Cardone only costs $220 USD, and at least then you know the state of it, plus get a 3 year warranty. My concern with a JY one would be that you have no way of knowing if it's not damaged or even worse than yours. I'm sure you would hate to find out after spending hours under your truck. Plus the new racks usually come with inner tie rods.

Yeah, I don't like the idea of a junkyard one either, I'm warming up to a rebuilt unit but just don't have the cash. My rear trailing arms are blown and my window cracked on a chip that's been on the window since I have owned it. Plus the Z is bleeding my dry, so yeah I'm broke. Lol

But whatever, not much I can do.

-Kyle

I'm going to be ordering the a1 Cardone from rockauto this Friday and the pump. It comes with inners and I believe it is already installed so hopefully they have the boots clamped already

I looked on rockauto and I'd rather get the AC Delco part, I have heard way too many bad stories about Cardone parts, and having a Cardone brake master fail on buddy after 6 months. So yeah, plus the Delco one is only little more, my concern is with the core. Because I just added my name the list of people having issues with rockauto.

Well see, it works now, and I don't drive it that much.

-Kyle

Looks like Nissan changed it between our year models, hence why i can still see my AC delco unit for my 96' and you cant for you 01'.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_search_result.php?keywords=[49001]+\(r50&cPath=4700_4701_4815_4822

$1140 for my year steering rack!!! :togo::P:P:crazy::crazy::ill::ill::ill:

IDK what id do in your situation. Probably start of doing some research on the brands and see what you can find, its mostly positive, give them a try, your kinda stuck unless you can find a ACdelco rack.

I should point out the only reason i somewhat like ACD is because they are the OEM provider for GM vehicles, including the sports cars like the vette. and have heard some good things here and there. I'm slowly trying them out more and more on easily serviceable parts (like the rear sway bar links) so if they crap out earlier than expected, i'm not out a lot of cash, or time.

When going OEM is just too ridiculous, which it often is, this is what were stuck with.

Just my :my2cents:

EDIT: Per CDN_S4's suggestion, i will go with a new/remaned part, i just found that Summit Racing carries the same ACD rack for $215 (plus the $100 for a core.) But im much more willing to give them my core money than Rockauto. EDIT AGAIN: DANGIT was looking at the wrong one, apparently manufactures think there are different version, and label one R&P for the XE model, and one R&P for the SE model. Not sure why as Nissan only lists one for the 96-98 years... :shrug:

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123

Summit Carries the ACD one, but its $450 before the $100 core, so $100 more than the cardone, or any of the others. IDK, its up to you.

Part number for the ACD rack is on their website, plug it into Summit and it will come up.

-Kyle

I think that's close to rockauto price. I literally had it in my cart and refreshed it and it took it out of my cart because it was no longer in stock lol. I would rather go through summit as well. Thanks for all the help guys!

• 1 year later...

Hey pathy people. Sorry to revive an old topic but i have the same noise and am wondering how pressing it is to fix. No movement in the rack when looking at it while siblings turn the wheel back and forth but there is a knock. Not sure if its from where the steering shaft assemble enters the rack or if its from right behind the firewall in the footwell. Any input much appreciated