Knock or no knock?

Hey all, I need alittle help.! Got a sweet '97 LE 4x4 , changed out front bushings, fuel filter, plugs,wires,dist cap, rot. button.....still getting a random misfire, an a knock sensor error. 0 to 60 runs strong an shifts smooth, but if I want to run 60 it starts missing...help!....

Random misfire could be the distributor (which houses the ignition coil) or potentially fuel injectors. Clean the throttle body and the MAF sensor first, which are easier and less costly first-steps.

• Like 1

Hey all, I need alittle help.! Got a sweet '97 LE 4x4 , changed out front bushings, fuel filter, plugs,wires,dist cap, rot. button.....still getting a random misfire, an a knock sensor error. 0 to 60 runs strong an shifts smooth, but if I want to run 60 it starts missing...help!....

And I would ignore the knock sensor until you resolve the misfire issue. Misfire could be triggering the knock sensor. (perhaps?)

But if you truly have a miss and a knock, then you might have a worst case scenario. :(

But I don't see why that would only begin after you hit 60.

edit: you might consider the fuel pump. (I see you changed filter) See if you can measure fuel pressure when you are driving at 60 and it's missing.

Edited by jyeager
  • Like 1

Yep, I've talked with a few more mech. Friends. An they said the same thing!....I noticed the dist. Cap had markings from a junk yard, so I hit one of my buddies to check the timing...it was off alittle an has helped the missing. Reset the codes, gonna drive it an check again....when I tuned it up I changed the fuel filter to!