Starter install on a 2001+

NovaPath

So, there is another thread on this, but being that I am debating between paying the $300.00 to have a shop do it, or doing it myself for the part cost of $80, I Thought I would start another in hopes of getting some feedback.

Anyone done a starter replacement on a 2001+(VQ 3.5) 4wd automatic? Was it a bear or as easy as the FSM states?(two bolts). The shop has it listed as an hour labor, but if I'm having to remove axles or twist steering racks I'll gladly pay to have someone else waste their time installing this thing..

Thanks in advance

1 hour labor is $300 there? I need to move!!

If you have access to a lift, not so bad. Or if you can get it pretty up in the air on some heavy duty jack stands properly supported

• Like 1

1 hour labor is $300 there? I need to move!!

If you have access to a lift, not so bad. Or if you can get it pretty up in the air on some heavy duty jack stands properly supported

$300 dollars an hour? Holy crap! I need to move! Replacing is not a big deal. Disconnect the negative battery cable and with a little common sense and mechanical inclination not a difficult repair.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

So, the new starter is in. I did not take any pictures(sorry!) as it was a very messy/dirty job(I do wheel my truck, afterall...). The good part is I did not have to move any other components out of the way. The bad part is, this job sucks, flat out sucks. There is no room to work what-so-ever, you have to wait until you get the two bolts out before you can disconnect the starter solenoid wireing, and then you have to literally turn your hands inside out to twist and mangle this thing out of a hole that is maybe 1/4" bigger than the assembly when it is in the exact right position. Installation is, of course, the same as removeal.

I'm glad this job is over. All said and done it took about 3 hours, including fiddling with the lift electrical connection so we could use it. That may not seem bad, but remember, this job is literally 3 bolts....and it took That long.

• 1 year later...

Yes, it took me 3 hours also (1 hour of work and 2 hours of frustration) - but Here is the info you need to cut this job to 1 hour.

1.) If working on jack stands - remove the RF tire - you will need the room to work.

2.) Use a 1/4" drive ratchet and 12mm socket to remove the main power lead from the solenoid. There is no way to get 2 hands in there to hold the rubber boot up and get a wrench on it. The socket can do both.

3.) Release the wiring harness clip from in front of the starter - this is necessary to move the harness out of the way.

4.) MOST IMPORTANT*** after the starter is loose and the wiring is disconnected, turn it so that the solenoid is ON TOP and carefully angle it down and remove BEHIND the front axle.

DO NOT (as I did) try and rotate the starter with the solenoid down - or you will waste 2 hours cursing at it... and still not get it out.

After you figure out the position, it really isn't that bad.

On Reassembly, the only real trick is to again use the 12MM socket & ratchet to put the nut on over the power lead... otherwise straightforward.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So after countless hours of research, i finally figured out how to do the whole thing..took me about a hour to get it out, I haven't been up to buy another yet, that's tomorrow!

1.) You have to work on jack stands no matter what... i did not remove the RF tire

2.) I had to use a 12mm wrench because I couldn't get a ratchet up there..

3.) Unclip the wiring harness clip

4.) after the starter is loose and the wiring is disconnected, solenoid should already be on top and pull it toward the front bumper with a little wiggling it will rock back till the gear teeth are showing the pull the metal gasket out slide the teeth side downward and pull/push towards the rear bumper with some wiggling it will come right out( I practiced sliding it back in a couple times so I had it down pat)

When replaced remember to clip the connector back in and screw both wires back to the solenoid and my bolt on top was longer don't mix it up!.

I did mine about a month ago. It was a lot wrestling but loosening and tightening it was easy. If it helps anyone I pulled it out of the bell housing toward the front bumper but then got it out by pushing it out towards the rear bumper. Also make a note of the shim between the bell housing and the starter and how it sits. I didn't and there isn't any good pictures on the internet that I could find. I had to figure it out by looking at the dirt marks on the bell housing and the shim. I did the whole job with it sitting on its tires in my apartment parking lot. Not fun but if you have the patience it's not too bad.