Rotors Toast, '94 Pathy SE

bmitchell

So I'm hoping to replace both front rotors tonight. Striped like the rings of Saturn and have new ones sitting.

Was going to do it last night but forgot I had 4WD and didn't realize the whole hub had to come off to swap rotors. Too dark and too much lack of preparation/knowledge.

Hoping to reuse all the bearing parts, condition permitting, as long as I don't gouge the seal or drop the bearing into the gravel.

Anything I should know that I may be overlooking? Got the FSM pages printed for this and will have the PDFs on the laptop. Don't have the bearing lock nut socket, may have to do it by hand if Oreilly doesn't have it. Thoughts on pre-loading without it? Does this bearing need hi-temp grease?

Wish I had another vehicle so I could take my time, but it's gotta get done.

Ben

Edited by bmitchell

And throw some cardboard down on the ground, that way the gravel and dirt/dust problem is all but eliminated. And if it's a big enough piece, it will be a little more comfortable to sit kneel on :aok:

Caveat #1: 6mm hex key that is not made of soft steel AND no 1/4 inch drivers. Rounded my allen key and sheared off a 1/4 inch bit driver trying to break these allen bolts. All but one broken on one side, none on the other. Show stopper.

Edit: Wow, 1/4 not 1/2. Too sleepy.

Edited by bmitchell

Caveat #2: The tiny screws for the washer that sits over the lock nut are really picky and hard to get started.

Otherwise all done.

Didn't remove/regrease the inside seals/bearings as they were not problematic and appeared to be fully functional.

Otherwise all done.

Noticed a minor leak on one of the right side pistons, got a new seal to put on soon. Brakes work much better now and ABS engages nicely.

Any suggestions on what to do with the old rotors? Far too thin now to bother resurfacing them, and no core charge as I bought the new rotors online.

Ben

Edited by bmitchell

Just a thought here, but it it were me I would have taken the time to repack the bearings, new grease is better than old and they were readily accessible.

Old rotors, take them to a metal recycler, either a paying one even though you won't get much for just those or the local landfill/transfer station. A wrecking yard might take them too.

I probably will repack everything when I swap out the axles. I did repack the one that I took out, but the back ones I didn't need to remove to get what I needed done done. Now that we broke all the bolts from 30yrs ago it'll be easier for me to disassemble the hubs again. Might consider switching out the auto locks for some manuals.

Thanks, I'll check around for metal recyclers, should be lots around here.

Ben