Quick axle question

djratlif

Right now I have been driving a 1992 WD21 for a few years and just recently bought a 1998 R50 on a whim because the price was good. The rust on the R50 is too much for me so I am planned on using the drive train to replace the old stuff in the WD21.

The first thing I want is the Limited Slip out of the rear of the R50, but with different spline counts on the shafts I can't simply swap it in from what I have gathered so far. Does anyone here know if I can swap the carrier/gears along with the axle shafts from the newer R50 into the older WD21 housing? Any help is appreciated on my end. The R50 seems to crawl around in 2wd with bald tires better than the WD21 in 4wd with new Wrangler Authority tires on it.

Right now I have been driving a 1992 WD21 for a few years and just recently bought a 1998 R50 on a whim because the price was good. The rust on the R50 is too much for me so I am planned on using the drive train to replace the old stuff in the WD21.

The first thing I want is the Limited Slip out of the rear of the R50, but with different spline counts on the shafts I can't simply swap it in from what I have gathered so far. Does anyone here know if I can swap the carrier/gears along with the axle shafts from the newer R50 into the older WD21 housing? Any help is appreciated on my end. The R50 seems to crawl around in 2wd with bald tires better than the WD21 in 4wd with new Wrangler Authority tires on it.

I'm not familiar with the R50 axle gears, but as far as the amount of work to swap the gears, wouldn't it be easier (as long as the width of the axle in the same), to swap the whole axle and just deal with coil spring mounts, and other "weld on" brackets to make it work?

You would also have to look into (and fab or modify) other peripheral things such as e-brake cable, brake line, and axle shaft yokes/flanges, but these are a lot more of a intermediate level of expertise type issues, than a gear swap?

Depends on your skill set???

That's my 2 cents worth

The swap of gears/carriers would be quick if I am remembering correctly. The whole 3rd member would swap with backlash set and all the measurements correct. I am new to the whole 3rd member design, usually working with GM axles from 1999+. Being both H233B axles, the housings should be the same length? Correct?

The 3rd members should swap, but I think there was a change in the number of housing studs...I think the older used 10 studs, so one hole on the 3rd is left open. But I don't know the MYs.

As for axle width, I'd assume they're different. Check out nissannut.com...he's done all sorts of projects. Specifically:

Fab Projects > Rear Disc Brakes

Bolt on Projects > H233 Swaps

Much of what he types I can't make sense of, but he's got pics. My impression is that it should work (swapping in R50 diff and axle shafts) but you may need to shim/space the axle shafts where they attach to the tubes.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. From what he is showing it does seem that the shafts will be different lengths and will need to be shimmed or shortened. This is going to be a little more in depth than I was hoping, although it is not my daily driver in the summer so I could just take them both apart and compare the two. Still gonna start researching some more and see what bearings/shafts/seals will be needed if it is possible.

No sweat.

One other thing worth mentioning is that if you were to find an LSD from another WD21, it'd have far more breakaway torque than the one in your R50. Of course, this kind of bypasses your plans for the R50.

The WD21 selection around here is almost non existent. They have rotted long ago and most have seen the crusher due to the rust issues. I did see a few left in a back wooded part of a pick and pull the other day though. Maybe I'll slide down there next week and check to see. One already has infinity door speakers they want $10 for, and I want some heated leather seats from another R50 they want $50 for.

The engine and transmission will still be used as a donor for the older/tired set in the WD21. As for the rest... it may end up in pathy heaven. My lot is getting full with all the Nissan stuff I have been acquiring and the town code officer is kinda clamping down on unregistered vehicles on the property.