New custom exhaust, no smog.

djeffrey

Hello, I am going to have a new exhaust made up, my stock exhaust is tired and muffler has a grapefruit sized hole in it, I am wanting to go up in size to 2-2.25 all the way back. I already have pacesetter headers installed. Where I have it register smog checks are not required so I don't have to worry about that.

Do you all think It would be beneficial to remove the cat? Or would it cause too much of a loss in back pressure? What muffler would you all suggest? From all the reading I have been doing a flow master 40 seemed like a good choice. I don't want it to be crazy loud, just sound good and wrap up nice when I Rev it out.

I have also installed a vg33 if that makes a difference.

Removing the cat won't give you much more power, and might make you lose some low end torque. It is also illegal and might make your Pathy worth less/harder to sell down the line.

My recommendation is that you have a Magnaflow 'high flow' cat installed; 2" is the largest legally for California (unless something has changed) and is what I have. I'm certain that it is not restrictive...

My set up is a stock VG30E with Thorley headers, 2" Magnaflow cat, 2.25" piping (more than enough) into a Flowmaster Delta 60. Sounds good without being too loud but is raspy at higher RPM, I think there is something not secured properly. One more thing I have to do... :rolleyes:

B