Trouble with my Pathfinder

Cai

hello my name is cai i am from the bahamas and i need some help from the experts in this forum. my 94 XE has been running like a dream until recently. it began with replacing the starter now i have been going through a series of difficulties. the engine starts perfectly but when i am driving and get high in a gear it begins to miss. when it is cool the truck runs perfectly but when it warms up this missing begins. at one point it cut out on me while i was driving my niece and nephew home. i have done full service and have checked the gas tank for rusting. my mechanic and i have taken out the fuel pump but i will have to import this. before i go that route i was wondering if anyone has had similar problems and could give me something to check before i import this unnecessarily. All cars are imported here and we usually have a very good supply of parts for vehicles but there is only one fuel pump left in stock on the island. i could really use some guidance on this one.

Thank you

I'm assuming you have the same VG30E multi-port injected V6 that we have here.

You can download a factory service manual here for troubleshooting procedures and instructions for reading the computer codes. There's also a forum writeup on reading the codes, either will work. These ECUs often don't have the vaguest idea what's up but it's a good place to start.

Cutting out at higher RPM does sound fuel related, but I wouldn't suspect the pump right off. Have you replaced the fuel filter? They're cheap and easy to get at. Also have a look at the vacuum lines if you haven't yet, particularly the one going to the fuel pressure regulator (between the intake and the firewall).

The fact that it runs fine until it warms up sounds more like a sensor problem than a fuel delivery problem, though. I've read about the angle sensor in the distributor failing in such a way that it only craps out as it warms up. I would also check the coolant temperature sensor, the mass air flow sensor wiring, and maybe run the computer diagnostic for the oxygen sensor (no special tools required, details in the manual).

Good Post!

Testing/following the manual is always my place to start, especially when something doesn't follow 'common sense'. The 'runs fine until warm' part is a flag to me that there is a sensor/condition that is bad when the computer reaches closed loop (warm running conditions).

Is there no check engine light?

B

Thank you both for your responses, i will go through this. i had it put on the computer and i suppose i need to see the readings that were given. i am leaning toward oxygen sensor after speaking to others due to the blackening of the spark plugs also. it is the same model that is pictured. i have changed the fuel filter but have not checked vacuum lines. i will also look into these other sensors, the angle sensor seems like a good next place to look after i check oxygen sensor. there is a check engine light. thank you for the insight. i will be going through the sensors one by one and hope that this provides me the fix i am seeking.

Cai

Sorry, but there is no quick fix for this, especially over the Net. Just go by the manual and test criteria, it is what a mechanic would do. If you get stuck. let us know, we'll try to walk you through it. :aok:

B