Any MPG benefit from a KA24E swap?

Dma251

I'm surprised I don't see many examples of KA24E swaps into the pathfinders. It seems like the horsepower and torque are close to the VG, but I think it could get better fuel economy.

I know most people want more and more power, but for my purposes of exploring old fireroads in the PNW, I might be willing to trade the 10-20 ft/lbs of torque for the possibility of getting closer to 20 mpg.

I keep my pathfinder loaded with about 200 lbs. of gear at all times, and I run 31" tires, and they work fine for my needs, so I'm not planning on going larger.

Anyone know if my manual trans will bolt to the KA24E?

I really can't fathom swapping a motor, especially one that is arguably lesser, in order to hope for a few MPGs.

5-gallon-jerry-can.jpg

That is $40, weighs 35lbs full and should extend your range by 50 miles minimum. Already have one? Get another... :shrug:

Simply put, the Pathfinder is a heavy little beast (you might be at 4,500lbs curb weight) with a small motor and numerically high gear ratio. It is hard to improve mileage substantially in the face of this.

B

I've been through a couple KA powered Hardbodies before WhiteOwl, with a 5 speed on 31s they definatly wernt exactly powerful (I'd rairly use 5th unless it was a long downhill on a highway and I was drafting a tractor trailer)

A ka24e wouldn't be the choice I would make. I would much rather swap in a ka24de and add a t3 sized turbo to the deal. Then you have the superior fuel economy and torque of the double overhead cam engine and intake manifold butterflies. A ka24det with around 8-10 psi of boost pressure will yield around 250 hp to the wheels of a rwd car. So maybe 240 to the wheels on a truck and will most likely get a few mpg better than the vg30e. Then again you would be downgrading your transmission to make the swap happen and your peak torque would be at 4400 rpm instead of 3800 rpm but that could be adjusted with driving style. In my personal opinion the ka24de is the most reliable engine that I've ever owned and that alone would make me consider the swap if I didn't already have a vg33e in place!