Manual 5 Speed Swap Questions

The_Magicians_Eye

Ok first off I've spent days researching this but I still have a few questions.

• Will the Flex Plate Bolts work with the flywheel? I really would rather not pay $5 per bolt to get them from Nissan.
  • While searching for a flywheel I ran across a flywheel shim. Is this needed or is this some for of compensation for the starter to line up that is typically not needed? I see they come in different sizes.
  • Do any of you know what a good tool would be to remove the small adapter in the crank (or whatever it's called) so I can install the pilot bearing for the manual trans. When I say good tool I'm talking about something that will remove it easily and not ruin my damn day lol.
  • It looks like the shifter out of an FS5W71 (4 cylinder 5 speed) will work in a FS5R30A (Vg30 5 speed). Can anyone verify this before I waste my time and money going to a JY an pulling one out of the FS5W71. I know the base plate is the same part number but the R30A has more clips and BS on the actual shifter. When looking at the exploded images of the shifter, the shifter it self looks the same.
  • Do any of you have any pics or video to show the hydraulic line location before it attaches to the slave cylinder? I need to see how I should be routing the line.

Thank you. If all goes well I'm going to be doing this swap over the next month or two depending on how much spare money I have to buy all the parts needed. I'll have most of them in a week or so though. I also have to budget for my sas that I plan to address as soon as I finish this manual swap. Need to get my truck ready for wheeling season!

I'll try and answer best I can.

1) No, I believe the lengths are different. I bought some new 10.9 bolts at a local supplier and cut them to length.

2) I believe flywheel shims are for shimming flywheels that have been machined after some hard use. If you buy a new flywheel you won't need to shim it.

3) My truck didn't have the AT adapter, so I didn't have to remove it. I think there are tools made, but I don't know enough to comment.

4) Have no idea. VG30 5 speeds are somewhat common locally. :shrug:

5) I don't have a pic handy, but can snap one later. IIRC, from the slave cylinder, a rubber flex line runs to a point on the inside frame rail. From there the hard line runs over the frame rail to another connector block that runs to the dampener.

Edited by Harbinger
  • Like 1

Awesome man. Thank you for helping with what you could. That helps allot.

I live in Upstate NY and all D21 and WD21 are very hard to find in yards out here. You may get lucky and find one maybe 2 in a yard. And god only knows that they won't have all the parts you need lol.

I was thinking that the flex plate bolts wouldn't work but I couldn't find anything that confirmed it.

Not 100% your application but when I swapped engines in a past HB it was a 5 speed truck and the donor was an automatic. Automatic truck had a shim behind the flywheel, 5 speed did not. I think I still have the shim in a drawer :lol:

And for the transmission shifter, my 88 5 speed has the shifter from a 93+ hardbody 5 speed but I had to change the plate that bolts to the actual transmission case.

Hopefully I helped answer "something"

• Like 1

Ok, snapped some pics.

http://imgur.com/a/8coys

The first pic shows the outside of the frame rail, and the connector block (The one with the yellow dot on it from the JY). The upper line comes from the dampener, and the lower line runs under the passenger side frame rail, and back up the other side. That is where the next pic shows it connecting to the rubber hose line, underneath the starter.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Harbinger
  • Like 1