Need to trace a wiring harness...

parallon

Hello all. I have a 2003 Pathfinder SE 4x4. I know this is going to sound strange, but I have oil leaking out of one of my wiring looms. I know, not possible. But, what I believe is happening is that I have a leak somewhere in my engine, but somehow dripping into my loom, running to the lowest point and dripping elsewhere.

So, the location of the dripping is right under the passenger seat, but on the exterior. There is a bundle of 4-5 connectors protected by a heat shield under the vehicle's passenger side front. This bundle runs through the floorboard and then under the carpet under the front passenger seat. The floorboard is completely dry under the carpet. When I removed the heat shield, everything around these connectors is dry, but where the wires come out of the loom is soaked and is dripping a couple of drops of oil an hour. I have even stuck my fingers into the holes of the frame, and they are dry.

So, basically, I am just wondering if anyone happens to know what that bundle leads to on the engine side. I have looked under the hood, but cannot see anything wet.

I would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks,

Mike

:welcome:

First off, what's the oil look like? Tranny fluid, brake fluid, motor oil? Could help to track down what's leaking into it and where, especially if the harness parallels the hard lines for the brakes or the transmission cooler.

Your best resource for tracing the wiring (among other things) is here: :clickdalink: Download your year, then have a look at the EL section, there should be a routing diagram that'll let you trace the wiring into the engine bay, if that is where the leak is. My dad had an '03 and IIRC it was awful tight in that engine bay, so I hope your issue isn't buried too far in there!

Thank you for the response. Well, I kind of suspected tranny fluid due to the light reddish tint, although I have no idea how it would have gotten that far towards the outside of the vehicle. I have removed the heat shield for the time being to keep any puddling from touching the wires. We'll see what that shows in the next day or so. The frame from that area and back about 3 feet are wet.

As for that link you sent, I wish I knew about this years ago before I bought the actual shop manuals... :) I always buy these when I buy a new vehicle since the AutoZone offerings aren't that informative.

I'll let you know what I find in the next couple of days.

Thanks,

Mike

If its the wire harness I think it is. Even mine has a small drip to it.

Its not engine oil, its transmission fluid. Its coming from a rotation sensor at the top of the transmission. Which that harness runs to. There is a oring that seals that sensor, and thats what leaks under pressure, and the fluid runs down that harness. Its odd, but its probably it. Worst part? You have to pretty much drop the whole tranny to fix it.

Edit: Turbine Revolution Sensor; thats it.

Edited by Rebelord
  • Like 1

Rebelord,

Hey, I just wanted to know that I looked into the Turbine Revolution Sensor that you mentioned. From everything that I am reading, this sounds exactly like what it is. I am not having a lot of the other issues as others, i.e. false dash warnings, but the tranny oil dripping right under the passenger seat is right up my alley. I want to thank you so much for this insight...

I believe, since I am not having any issues other that the oil drip, that it would be safe to let go, correct? From what I understand, I would have to drop the transmission to replace this part, and, well, the drip doesn't bother me that bad, as long as I keep an eye on the fluid level.

What exactly does this sensor do? If it actually does go out, what are the symptoms? I am assuming that it has nothing to do with the speedometer, or am I incorrect?

Thanks again,

Mike

It determine the input shaft speed of the transmission. Then there is another speed sensor in the rear. It uses the two input to determine shifts and stuff. If it goes out you'll know. Lights galore and tranny in limp mode. As it won't be able to tell input rpm.

From what I've read you can let it go for quite awhile. But the leak will progressively get worse.

I actually have a power train warranty that covers the tranny. For transmission anything that touches fluid is covered. Going to see if I can get it done that way. Otherwise I'll call a shop I know.

Sent from my Moto X

I'm so glad I found this thread. It has been driving me crazy not knowing where the trans fluid was leaking from. I have had this same problem for about a year, I am going to just keep watching the fluid levels and adding as needed. Thanks for the info.