Coil Pack Removal Trick?

Karmann

I'm changing my sparkplugs and doing a basic tuneup today, as well as yesterday, and have run into the issue that as I remove the some of the stock coil packs, I end up breaking them into three pieces: the head, the center tunnel with spring, and the bottom boot. In the process I've destroyed two of the sealing rings, and since it seems I can't find the rings individually (if someone knows where to buy these, please link it up), I've ended up having to replace the entire coil packs. Not trusting aftermarkets to the issue, it's been $135 per coil pack from Nissan, I'd rather not blow that much on the remaining two. Anyway, is there a technique or procedure any of you know to get the coils to come off easier? Wiggling them seems to make them pull apart sooner.

I just twisted mine a lil and they came right off.

You do know, you can buy just the "boot" of the coil pack. You dont have to buy the whole assembly.

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/NGK-CPB-N002-Coil-Plug-Boot/dp/B001KR3LLC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426804544&sr=8-1&keywords=CPB-N002

But there are store brands available at Autozone and Adavanced etc. I think my local Autozone has their Duralast set for $45 for all 6

Those boots are actually tune up items. They are the same in essence as changing the plug wires. With coil pack motors a tune up is plugs and boots instead of plugs, wires, cap, and rotor.

• Like 1

Ok well I just completed changing all the sparkplugs, turns out the easiest way to take the coil assembly out is to warm up the motor beforehand, and the expansion seems to make it much much easier. I bought some of the coil pack boots to replace the ones I accidentally broke, and am returning the coil pack I bought to Nissan tomorrow. We'll see how the parts department handles this one. Thanks for the help guys, I was lucky enough I kinda figured it out before causing too much damage. :laugh:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...