New here from Nc

wickedss85

Hello to all! First time Pathfinder owner here though not new to the offroad or forum scene. Coming from a Jeep Grand Cherokee as well as a Forum Moderator from another forum. My name is Matt and I am purchasing my first Pathfinder tomorrow! Im thinking its a 1997 SE model. Not sure as I dont know really anything about Pathfinders yet but intend to learn. Mainly buying it because my S10 was too small to haul around me, the wife, and a kid especially with another on the way! My other reason is because I know the history and who had this vehicle so I know it has always been well maintained and never abused. I look forward to talking with you guys and gals and learning as much about Pathfinders as I learned during my time with my Jeep. Goals for this project are basic, mainly making it more enjoyable and capable for the wife and I as well as the kids to enjoy on the weekends and small excursions. I will need all the help I can get as far as info goes on these. I have had trouble finding out what kind of diffs they put in these things. I do know I plan on running 31x10.50R15 tires and maybe some Simulock style rims. Throw on a brush guard and maybe some other accessories. All input/advice is always welcome!

Welcome! I hope someone can add more info but I am pretty sure that there are at least two diff. gear sets and at least one LSD available. There is a 4.33 and a 4.65 gear set available in the previous truck (mine) rear diff. carrier could be an H233B but I am sure that Precise1, nunya, RedPath88 or someone else can chime in with details!!

Well, where are they? :tongue:

Welcome to NPORA, Matt! Since you already know 4x4s and forums, Pathfinders will be easy for you to learn...

About the diffs/axles, the front is R200A and rear is H233B as the Special one mentioned. :D They are plenty strong enough for most any size tire you can reasonably fit.

It could have come with 2 different gear sets, it will be displayed on a little plaque on the passenger firewall, under the hood. HG43 or HG46 for 4.36 or 4.63 gears IIRC. Finding others gears is limited and expensive although 4.9s are available out of an Xterra; they fit in WD21s so I suspect they should fit in R50s.

Most of this stuff is well documented if you use the right search phrases, and skip the standard search, go straight to the advanced.

One important thing is for you to go to the Garage section, and in the pinned Factory Service Manual thread, to download your own free PDF for your year. This is your new bible... ;)

B

Thanks for the warm welcome! Yeah its currently sitting on 235/75r15s. I would like to go up to 31's but my factory wheels are the limiting factor on that so im thinking that a set of 15x8 black steelies may be in the future. Right now im working on a few tlc issues. It throwed a code P0420, the exhaust from cats back needs trplacing ats its got some rust and holes. The lower control arms for the rear are also on my list as per my research it appers they are causing my "death wiggle/wobble". Other than that and a new cv axle the truck is in great shape. It turns out its actually a 1998 and im thinking its an xe model. All factory except radio. Heres a pic from the day i brought it home. 11042957_1572430969698283_80094738797891

The upper control arm bushings are the exact same thing as the lower. Some auto parts stores have them listed under different part numbers or may not carry them at all but I changed them on my 97 and they are the same. Thought this might be helpful because I had a time figuring it out.