More E-bay goodness... Power rear window mod.

daczone

Okay after a recent ride in my pathfinder I wanted to be able to pop the back window open just a bit for my dog. Then I thought why not just replace one of the gas struts with a linear actuator. So that is what I set out to do this morning.

This is my proof of concept video... I have painted everything black and running wires to the front.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/755737/pathfinder/IMG_0271.MOV

I measured my strut and decided a 6" unit would work perfectly. Remember I want to be able to drive down the road with my glass open so anything longer would have required some sort of electronic stop. So from fully closed to fully open it works perfectly. I used the original strut mounts.

Specs on the actuator:

Maximun Load: 225 lbs
◾Speed: 12 mm/Second
◾16 1/16'' Extended Length & 10 1/16'' Compressed Length

I like the idea! It looks very techy but I would be worried about the glass itself. I would think that the flex of the body over / through bumps and potholes may stress the glass enough to break it by accident. Maybe not, I'm just thinking out loud. I love the look though, it's aWWesome!!

Nice! Reminds me of the 4Runners where the rear window rolls down into the hatch. What do you have in mind for the wiring? I'll bet a power window rocker switch would work pretty well, the latch might take some playing around with though so it catches/releases properly.

The glass can probably handle it, so long as you don't forget and try to shut it by hand from the unsupported side.

Yeah I thought that toggle would be ideal if it went both directions. I plan on just running the 2 wires back to a rocker in my console. The unit turns off when it gets to full extend or full retract. I actually like this idea better than the 4runner as I can leave it popped up a few inches and not have to worry about rain.