Fan isn't working on any setting.

Harbinger

'Ello all.

So got in my truck this morning, and my fan wasn't blowing on any speed. It's a bit cold out to be running around without a heater!

Anywho, got home from school today, and did some investigating. Both of the 15A fuses are fine. I have no power at the blower motor (either with the engine running, or the key in the ACC position), and no power on pins 1 or 2 on the blower relay. (The one right behind the relay box on the passenger side of the engine bay.) The one good thing is I cleaned out my resistor pack while I was in there.

Right now I'm thinking it's the switch, but I'm not sure how to get it out, and then test it. Thought I would ping everyone here before I go back outside and get frustrated.

Edited by Harbinger

Ok, I made the mistake of trying to just remove the fan speed switch. Still have no idea where some of those springs went, so I went to the j/y real fast, and pulled a new HVAC control unit out of a 1994 wd21.

Still not working. No power to the blower motor. It's getting dark out now, so it will have to wait. I'm going to crack a beer and go through the FSM some more...

Ok, I was taking measurements wrong. I have 12v between the top terminal of the blower motor connector and body ground.

I'm currently on step E of the Manual Air Conditioner Diagnostic, (HA-45) but it is too dark to work. Which involves checking the new switch I put in.

I'll look at it more tomorrow when I get off of work.

I have 12v between the top of the blower motor harness and a body ground. I don't have continuity between the blower motor negative harness and body ground.<br />

<br />

The resistor pack has continuity between terminals. <br />

<br />

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk 2<br />

Edited by Harbinger

It's sounding like the blower motor itself is out - perhaps a brush wore down to the nub. I have noticed my fan will hesitate to start spinning if the temps are in the low 40s or lower. Once it does start to spin cold, it squeals very bad until it gets going (as if the factory lubricant, being 21 years old, turns to wax at those temps). I'm waiting to have the same "no blow' problem myself one morning. Been meaning to pull the motor and see if I can fix it before it gives up the ghost.

That's my thought too. I'm at the point in the fsm manual ac diagnostic where as long as my new switch checks out, it says to replace the blower motor.

Will see about picking one up on my way home from work.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk 2

Ha, no I haven't tried hitting it.

I replaced it yesterday with one from a junkyard. Still no worky. (Didn't have $55 for a new one.) I'll have to hook the motors up to a battery or something to test them, but I've got a feeling something else is going on.

This all started the same morning that my battery issues started. Fast draining battery, charge light lit up on the dashboard. I installed my trans tunnel cover, and replaced the fuel filter a few days ahead of that, so I'm hoping I didn't crush any wiring while doing all that.

Edited by Harbinger