Anyone know if a 91 ECM will work in a 95?

Dma251

I'm trying like crazy to get one of my pathfinders on the road for my son before the weekend is up, and just found that the ECM in it (1995 XE auto) is fried from mice chewing through the injector wires.

Can I use the ECM out of my 1991 SE auto temporarily until the junkyards open after Thanksgiving?

For the most part the ECM's are not a problem with these vehicles, but as you found out it does happen. When I was looking for a replacement for mine I hit up the dealer and the parts manager looked it up and found a wide range of part numbers over the years (besides the obvious separations) and the best he could offer was a that one part (do not remember which now) stayed consistent over many of those part numbers, then it would change and stay that way again for a while... he suggested finding one with that part of the number that matched mine. I did and it worked. But as for knowing for sure if all ECM's form the same engine (I4/V6/Diesel) and injection type (TBI/MPFI) work in place of another, I don't know if anyone can truly answer that.

That's one of the things I like about these old wd21's. Total interchangeability. Everything seems to fit everything. They are the ugly-duckling, but rock-solid, none the less.

Well just in case someone reads this later, we do not absolutely know that the ECU's are fully interchangeable. Without knowing that there is always risk that something, like the replacement ECU, could be fried just plugging it in and applying power (connecting the battery.) But we do know that there are units that do work in other years and it is possible that most of them do. But without knowing for sure caution should always be taken when swapping them.

That's one of the things I like about these old wd21's. Total interchangeability. Everything seems to fit everything. They are the ugly-duckling, but rock-solid, none the less.

Ugly duckling? I think not! The style is quickly becoming classic, much like the old Broncos.......

• Like 1

You don't by chance have the part number for the correct ECU and he one you used that works? As stated we don't know they all interchange but can now confirm at least ONE combination. As I once dabbled in the DSM world (that car was a cluster when I got it), I know he importance of having working ECM options