P1110 Code. New VQ35 engine, same code :(

Canadian

Hey guys, If you recall last winter I overheated my motor and decided to replace it with a low mileage VQ35de from a japanese engine importer. The previous engine used to throw a P1110 and I never did diagnose it further, but I changed the cam sensors and the other codes I had went away.

I then swapped in this low mileage engine and since this is my winter car I havent dirven the truck for more than a minute til now, and I am noticing a reoccuring (and my only code) which is P1110, it comes on after a few starts and short drives and comes on while driving.

Luckily I kept all the sensors and solenoids off of the old engine, but they may not help as I had the code on that engine aswell? I have a bag of parts to swap around though if that can be any help. The onlythread I could find with a solution to this problem, it ended up being his cam sensors, but Im thinking theres a chance mine may be solenoid, anyway to diagnose?

Quote:

Problem Solved! Solution: the other sensor was bad but it was misreading false timing advance 100% of the time so the computer threw the P1110 code instead of a P1145 or P1140.
Short Story, I think my dealer is a joke and my Pathfinder is now running like a champ! :jig:

Since my last post I changed my oil and planned on doing a few 1,000 mile interval oil changes to hopefully break up the "Oil Sludge" my dealer assured me was the issue. I didn't expect anything immediate to happen and nothing did. A few days later I got a little impatient and started to dig a little deeper. I was almost ready to remove the front access panels in front of the "sludged up cam gear" and send some compressed air through the cam gear solenoid. However, I got suspicious on how much sludge was actually in my motor. I ended up removing the two M6 bolts holding in the oil filler neck so I could get a straight shot view of my valve train. It was spotless, no sludge build up whatsoever. I then thought I should try swapping the sensors again (remember I have one brand new on I put on when I first made this thread and one older one (maybe not original since it didn't match the other side that I replaced, more on that below*)) I took it for a test spin and it again threw a code but NOT for P1110 like it had been for weeks and it had been when the dealer "diagnosed" it. Instead it threw a P1135 code. THE PROBLEM FOLLOWED THE SENSOR! Hurray! in less than 2 minutes I had a new sensor swapped back in so that I have two new sensors and SES light has been off ever since! Thanks again for all the help and suggestions and thanks Howie for suggesting to buy two sensors at one time, saved me a lot of grief. I wish I had just put in both from the beginning. :doh: Moral of the story is that those Cam Shaft Sensors can cause P1145 & P1140 OR P1110 or P1135.

Anyways, Im all ears on how to solve this, my inspection sticker is due and a CEL is a no - no, Im having a hard time even understanding which side of the engine P1110 is for

Cheers!

Edited by Canadian

So I swapped the cam sensors on the engine, flipped passenger over to drivers side etc, hoping for the code to follow and jump sides. But even after reseting the ecu and driving to work and home, P1110 came back. Which would point to solenoid to me.

But what are the odds the solenoid would be bad on BOTH engines Ive had installed in this truck? Could it be something else like wiring/ecm?

if your ride is like my ride the crank position sensor is located on the trans bell housing. " if you swapped the motor and it came with new everything it only leaves 2 things."

1. Crank position sensor

2. your wiring harness. if the harness is open or shorted to the sensor it will throw the same code meaning its not responding or fixed in one position.

poking around with a digital multi meter could tell you a lot.

i googled the P1110 real quick because i didnt really know what it was. so here is the first thing that popped up

Possible causes
- Faulty Intake valve timing control solenoid valve
- Intake valve timing control solenoid valve harness is open or shorted
- Intake valve timing control solenoid valve may be faulty
- Crankshaft position sensor (POS) may be faulty
- Camshaft position sensor
Hope this info can at least get you headed in the right direction
Pat

Thanks yes I have read almost every thread involved with this code. To me because I have swapped sensors and the problem didnt jump it leaves solenoid or wiring as a possible issue. Wiring very well could be the issue as this truck definetely has some quirks in the wiring, but the engine harness itself is solid (I gave it a very good inspection when I swapped engines, and reloomed and taped nearly both entire harnesses)